Girls Write Out
Tuesday, March 06, 2012
First off, please pray for Cheryl. She lost her mother a few days ago, and it's been a very hard time for her. Praying for you, Cheryl!

I'm working on Rosemary Cottage, the sequel to Tidewater Inn. I'm supposed to be on vacation here in Hawaii, but after about a week, I found myself thinking about my plot and characters. The next thing I knew I was jotting down ideas. Then I was actually writing a scene here or there. :)

My new book is set in the Outer Banks so the setting is conducive to the thought process as well. And I'm getting some great ideas for characters here as well. Like surfers who are out in the middle of the storm that's been hitting us the last few days. And the Hawaiian lady down by the harbor feeding hundreds of cats dressed in her muumuu with her white hair trailing down her back.

Writers are like that. We see story everywhere we look. We watched a documentary about Taylor Camp the other morning. Taylor Camp was a hippie commune on Kauai's north shore. It was started back in 1969 on some property that belonged to Elizabeth Taylor's brother. I wrote about it in Midnight Sea. The longer I watched the documentary, the more I realized how horrible that lifestyle would be to me. Laying around on the beach all day with NO GOALS for years . Nudity and drugs, nothing but the next selfish activity. Shudder. The thought is unbelievably abhorrent to me. And that tells you something about me as well. :) So again, a study in character that has been fun for me to analyze the past few days.

My definition of a writer is someone who can't NOT write. If you can take up another profession and be happy not creating story, then do it because there's really no down time for a writer. We've been here in Hawaii for two weeks and in that time I've written a newsletter, updated my website, edited and compiled the final manuscript of Secretly Smitten for Ami, attended to some Facebook housekeeping, and done some writing. And of course jotted down ideas! In the past week, I've been antsy to get back to writing more than the occasional scene or two. But that's my life, the mindset of a writer.

So how about you? How long are you able to go without writing? What is your definition of a writer?

Labels:

Colleen Coble  
posted at 1:30 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheryl is definitely in my family's prayers. My heart goes out to her. I haven't seen her on here recently and i miss her.

Colleen, i know what you mean. I'll be somewhere, walking by the lake and i'll make everyone stop just so that i'll be able to write something down. lol.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

I have been wondering about Cheryl (her absence on here) and praying for her and will continue to pray!

Love the sounds of your upcoming books, Colleen. I try to read all of your books and am never disappointed!!!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Mary Marie Allen said...

Saying a prayer for Cheryl.

While I may be able to bear up with the constraints of "not putting it on paper" for awhile, I can't stop the scenes from playing out in my mind, or from wondering what the story is with the people in the car next to me...

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger grammajlb said...

I continue my prayers for Cheryl and Mel. They are wonderful people and this has been a long struggle for that family.

Colleen, I have a story running in my head all the time. Finding a paper and pen at any one time, along with a few minutes to put it down is what stalls my own creativity. That--and I forget the thought within a very few minutes. We are just so blessed to have you all who can and do write to entertain and teach us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz