Writer's conferences aren't cheap, so maybe you're thinking you'll just skip that part of the writing world and go straight to publication. Maybe you're already published and wondering why you should spend your hard earned money on a conference. I'd like to suggest you think of conferences as an investment in your dream. Here are some reasons you should attend:
- You can learn from the best in the industry. Bestselling authors, editors, and agents teach classes for everyone, from the beginning writer to the multi-published. Learn about craft, marketing, publishing, and more!
- Where else can you meet industry professionals, authors, and fellow writers all in one place? And you might just meet your future critique partners or best friends (case in point, Girls Write Out).
- Face to face time is invaluable in this industry, and many conferences give you the opportunity to sit down and pitch your work to the agent or editor of your dreams. If the manuscript fits their house, editors often invite conferees to send their proposal post-conference--one of the few ways you can get your story seen by an editor!
4. Insider Information
- Most conferences have spotlight workshops with publishing houses and agents where they tell conferees exactly what they're looking for. What better way to figure out where your manuscript might fit?
- Your family doesn't understand the voices in your head? Your friends think your little hobby is a waste of time? Come to a writers conference and mingle with other people heading the same direction as you! You will come away refreshed and encouraged!
You can find a list of Christian Fiction Conferences here
. In my opinion, the best conference for Christian novelists is the American Christian Fiction Writers Conference