Girls Write Out
Monday, March 26, 2012
I've had 2 high schoolers so far and both of them were impossible to motivate toward good grades their freshman year. 


Maybe it's because they're boys, or maybe it's because they're, well, teenagers, but it seemed impossible for them to understand that what they were doing TODAY would impact them down the road. That it would either limit or broaden their choice of college. But in their mind, college was 3 years away--a virtual eternity!


"I have plenty of time to worry about my grades," they thought.

This week in church our pastor talked about making decisions and living daily life based upon eternity. I was thinking about how hard that it is. How easy to get caught up in the day to day and lose track of what we're living for. 

Suddenly I thought of my sons. Turns out I'm not so different from them! Eternity seems so far away--there's plenty of time to do what I need to, right?


But the fact is, I don't know how long I have. I only know that I have NOW and that every day is a gift from God. If He's given me another day, shouldn't I make an effort to use it the way He wants me to? So that when I graduate, I can do so knowing I did my best, I gave my all. 


But the day-to-day motivation, well, let's just say I can relate to my sons. Maybe I need someone to ground me from my cell phone. So how do you do it? How do you keep your focus on eternal things? 

Labels: ,

Denise Hunter  
posted at 7:07 AM  
  Comments (2)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
2 Comments:
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I try to keep my focus on eternal things by limiting what "worldly" things I let into my life. It's easier to focus on the Lord when it's quiet.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Mary Marie Allen said...

Daily quiet time and Bible study and then using a daily goal list to be sure I'm making little steps toward my big goals. In all honesty, there are times though when it gets much more basic than a list, I depend on my husband, family, and friends to remind me of who I am in Christ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz