Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes. A hurricane hadn't taken direct aim at the Outer Banks in quite a few years. I've been writing the first book in my new Hope Beach series, Tidewater Inn. I thought it would be fun to write about a Cat I hurricane hitting. Nothing TOO bad because I didn't want the focus taken from the main story conflicts, but I wanted to show the small island all pulling together.

Well, guess what. Hurricane Irene took aim. A Category I with a strong storm surge, just like I'd written into the story about a month ago. Sorry, OBX! I wouldn't have done it if I'd thought I was being prophetic. It's enough to make me hesitate to write a disaster from now on. LOL

I have the cover up in honor of the VERY fun next few days. Denise should be in around 1:30 and we'll go pick up Kristin from the airport then head to Brown County where we've rented a gorgeous log home. Our editors Ami McConnell and Natalie Hanemann are going to meet us there. We will be brainstorming the next 2 Smitten books, and if there's time, some of our other upcoming books. We are so stoked! The only disappointment is that Diann is too sick to come. :( Please pray for her. This chemo is really whamming her hard. She's going to call in though and get us laughing. :)

So back to the original thought. Any of you ever have an instance where something you said or did turned out to be prophetic?

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 11:42 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

Fortunately, no. But the thing about disasters is that if you wait long enough one is sure to happen pretty much like you said.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Yes, I said that the cinnamon roll I was eating was going to go straight to my thighs. Indeed it did.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Often, Colleen. It's truly enough to make a writer think twice. Write about busting into meth labs and two meth labs are busted within sight of home--too close! Write about flooding and husband gets cut off from work due to flooding. Write about tornado, and the week that book comes out, our town is destroyed by a tornado. I've heard from lots of friends who've had those creepy experiences. I'd much rather not feel so prophetic!
Praying for Diann. Wish I could be with you girls, but caring for Mom is taking over my life right now--and I find it rewarding.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

I had a prophetic dream once, about my daughter. I"m not all into dreams and prophecy but it was amazing to see God's hand in it. :)

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

That's me, Suzanne! LOL
Very cool, Jaime! That sweet, Chloe. :) Cheryl, with your experience, I'd be forgetting it too. LOL

I know I didn't cause the hurricane, Timothy, but gosh I feel bad!

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the power of the pen... or keyboard if you will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz