Girls Write Out
Sunday, July 24, 2011

Over vacation, I decided to do something I'd never done before. Something I was certain every romance author had done. Something I'm sure my readers had presumed I had already done. I was too embarrassed to admit it but . . .

I had never read a Jane Austen book.

Not Sense and Sensibility, not Mansfield Park or Emma, or even Pride and Prejudice. My only exposure to Jane Austen stories was through--ahem--movies. Yes, hard to believe of a romance author, I know.

But over vacation, I decided I must rectify my terrible oversight. Not only because it was my secret shame, but because the heroine of my work-in-progress is a Jane Austen reader. Oh, the things I do for research.

So after gobbling up Elin Hilderbrand's new book, I dove into--what else?--Pride and Prejudice. As an impatient reader, I always thought the language of an Austen book would get in the way of the story. I presumed that the detail would be overwhelming and that I'd find myself skipping long, boring passages until I, at long last, put the book down, never to be picked up again.

Instead, I found myself turning in early each night--on a cruise!--so I could find a nugget of reading time. There were no long, boring passages, and I found the language quite beautiful. Best of all, I found wonderful parallels between Elizabeth Bennett and my own heroine that I plan on bringing out in my story. I love it when research is fun and productive. :)

So, all you Jane Austen fans--and I know you're out there. Which book should I read next?


Labels:

Denise Hunter  
posted at 6:58 PM  
  Comments (15)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
15 Comments:
At 9:48 PM, Blogger jel said...

THAT WAS YOUR SECRET!
what a let down!!!!!!!!!!
(just kidding)

no shame in that,
I haven't read any of her books

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Ginny Hixon said...

Definitely, Sense and Sensibility! It's my favorite Austen book by far.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Stacie said...

Sense and Sensibility. I just listened to it and Emma on audio. :)

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree...Sense and Sensibility. It's the only Jane Austen story I really liked. (Now you know MY secret! LOL)

By the way, love the pic!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

Well, my secret is that I just read one of her books last year! I prefer books by you ladies on GWO....just finished A Cowboy's Touch...loved it!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Wow, and here I thought Pride and Prejudice was her most loved novel!

Thanks, Jackie!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

Ive never read Jane Austen or any classic for that matter. A few times I've tried and never got past the first few pages. I wish though that I loved them

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big Jane Austen fan. My sisters get annoyed with me because i actually memorize the lines off the book. lol. I think you should read Sense and Sensibility or Emma next. Her other works are great but many people thought that they weren't as great as Pride & Prejudice, Emma, Sense & Sensibility.( Although I also like Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey a lot as well.)

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've never read a Jane Austen book for the same reasons you mentioned. Since there are some free ones on Kindle, I think I'll give it a try.

The picture is so cute!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Sandie said...

I've never read a Jane Austen novel either. Last week I opened the Kindle app on my cell phone and pulled it up. I got through the first page and was pulled away. Then my phone started locking up. I had to close the program so still haven't read one, but I'm going to try again! There's an app for the iPAD I believe.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I have a special place in my heart for Persuasion. Maybe because the heroine gets a second chance after many years have elapsed. I also like S & S and Emma. Mansfield Park not so much because of the first cousins thing.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Anne Mateer said...

I love the humor in Emma. It was the first Jane Austen book I read, and while I love all of them, I still return again and again to Emma.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger freddikb said...

I highly recommend Persuasion. I am a diehard Jane fan, love the stories, book and movie form. I grew up loving P&P most, but when I was introduced to Pesuasion, that became my #1 favorite, hands down. The history of Anne and Captain Wentworth, the secrets, the emotions....*sigh*....Okay, I think I have to read it again :)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

They all sounds good! Sounds like I have the top 3 to pick from. :)

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Kristen Borland said...

Mansfield Park for sure. P and P is my favorite, but Mansfield is close second. And Persuasion is so, so good too. (Of course Emma and Sense and Sensibility are fabulous.)

Northanger Abbey was her first book, though published after she died (?), if I'm remembering my high school English lessons correctly. Anyway, it reads like a first book. Not her greatest, but decent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz