Girls Write Out
Tuesday, July 05, 2011
I just finished the edits for Blue Moon Promise, and you all know how I LOVE edits. So last week was a way fun week for me. I took Saturday off and stripped wallpaper in the dining room so I can paint. I've had the itch to do it for months but no time. So I'm looking at paint samples and trying to make up my mind.

Yesterday was the 4th so we took off to spend the day with Punky and her parents at Jellystone. The place was absolutely packed, but it was really fun. The only troubling time was when I went swimming with Davy and Alexa. There was another little girl in the pool about Alexa's age. She was wearing a life jacket thingy. But here's the thing. Her parents weren't in the pool with her! They were chatting with friends under the arbor and totally ignoring her. She got into trouble several times and I saw wide blue eyes full of panic so I steered her to the steps four different times. There was no lifeguard on duty at the pool either. Parents are supposed to watch their children.

I wanted to say something to the parents, but that old adage against meddling prevented me. But I'll tell you one thing--I didn't leave the pool area until that little girl was out of the water! LOL Then I got to thinking about her. I don't know what other challenges she will face in her life, but I bet she's going to have to learn to be self-sufficient. I have noticed that a lot of kids today have an attitude of entitlement. I'd guess that little girl is going to not have a problem with that, but isn't there a happy medium? There's the overprotective parent and the neglectful one, but I'd sure like to see more right in the middle who know when to step back and when to step up and ensure a child's safety.

What would you have done in this situation? Shut up like I did and watched her myself? Turned in the parents to the authorities? Said something to the parents?
Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:33 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I would definitely have watched her and if I had to leave, then I think I would have taken her out of the pool and brought her to her parents letting them know she was having trouble staying afloat. If they said thank you, that would be the end of it. If they were snooty, then I'd have more to say. ;-)

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Diane Martin said...

Just yesterday, we witnessed a little girl (probably 3-4 years old) standing in the middle of the library parking lot, in the drive. Cars were stopped because they didn't know what this girl was going to do. Where was the mother? ON THE PHONE, digging something out of the back seat of her car! Even when she pulled her head out of the car, she had no facial expression showing the shock to find her little one in the middle of a road. She just took her hand and kept on walking, talking on her phone the whole time! Don't these parents realize what a gift they've been given with their children???

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

I think you made a good point, hobbymom.... a lot of parents don't realize what a GIFT children are... and they don't cherish their children as such.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I have no children, so I can't comment, but I did have young stepchildren once upon a time. And we lost one when she was a teenager when some adults threw a party and charged admission for all the booze the kids could drink. She and her cousin were killed in a high speed auto accident going home from the party. Nothing was done about those adults. I know what I wish would be done about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz