Girls Write Out
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
I hope all writers go through this. I know Colleen doesn't, but she's sort of inhuman with the happiness gene, so I'm going to bypass her. I'm in a whiny mood. I do believe I always get to this place about the same point in my book. Something is missing, and I can't put my finger on it, and so I keep going praying that it will come to be by the end.

This is when I wish that I knew how to plot. Actually, I know how to plot. I could teach a class on it. I just can't plot. My characters never do what I want them to do, and this annoys me. It's kind of like my kids. LOL

The kids are gone to my mother's house until tomorrow, so there's more at stake than usual. I should be writing Shakespeare's sonnets with this kind of time. Do you ever do that though? Squander time when you know THIS IS IT. I should not be procrastinating! The maid was here today, and so I cleaned out my son's room. She heard me in there squealing (I dropped a bookshelf on my head -- that's another story.) So she came in and helped. And we had so much fun cleaning that disaster.

I do believe my son has every Lego he's ever received since he was two, and I tried to make a place for them all, or I got rid of them. (He has also saved the boxes and every Lego magazine and instruction manual.) I kept the instruction manuals, ditched the boxes and the catalogs. I totally accomplished something. Just not what I was supposed to accomplish. My car was in the shop all day today, so I didn't even have the ability to go OUT and waste time. Yet I managed to do it right here, without any accomplices. What kind of things do you avoid?
Kristin  
posted at 8:38 PM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Jennifair17 said...

I have a tendency to avoid things I should be doing such as housework. I have baskets of clean laundry all over my bedroom that need to be folded and put away. Dishes are the next worst, once I get them washed I hate putting them away.

I also procrastinate on things that intimidate me. Such as starting a new project. I am working my way towards adding writing back into my world. I used to write poetry and I have always wanted to right a novel. I am working my way toward that goal.

Good luck with the book.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I am ALWAYS like that about my own work. In the middle, I"m convinced it sucks and my career is over. LOL I'm always on tenterhooks waiting for Ami's notes.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

My son, at 34, just gave his legos to his best friend's boys. LOL Talk about saving! It was a suitcase full.

And to the plot thing, Kristin, I haev to plot, but it's only a road map for me. Without it I wander and meander and never get anywhere. But if I have those "plot points" to follow (like road signs) I can let the characters take over. If they get too far off the road, I can pull them back.

I've found I've tossed out some of the scenes I had planned when the characters change things on me, and that's okay. Occasionally, I have to go back and change earlier parts because a character has done something totally cool and it has to stay.

I'm okay with all that, but there is no way I'd get out of my own driveway without that road map beside me.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

I love reading the newspaper as soon as it arrives. However, I have a tendency to toss the coupon pages aside....to cut out later....sometimes they expire before I get back to them!!
Keep up the great writing, Kristin.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I procrastinate writing when I'm not feeling good about the story--ie when I'm in the middle of the book.

I also procrastinate after the first draft when I have to go back and read it from start to finish. What if it's awful? ACK! Suddenly the laundry is calling, and my desk drawers really need organizing.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Ahh! Me, me, me, me!!!
I know how to plot, my characters have a will of their own. It is my downfall. But I'm slowing becoming a more stern writer. :)

And ditto to the Legos. Great little toys but ouch on bare feet!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Ditto to what y'all said. I always hate the book about the middle, knowing I'm not hitting it.

Then I feel good about it, and when I start over to edit, fix and rewriting, I go, "What was I thinking? This is horrible."

Writing is HARD work. But I love it!

Rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz