Girls Write Out
Thursday, March 24, 2011
People see and do a lot of things that I would call extreme, and I'm pretty sure I do some things that you might think were outlandish. For instance, if you were with us last year when I showed you the picture I took of the armadillo sniffing my hiking boot, and Kristin said, "Eww!" that, to most people, would be a little extreme.

You might think having a pet snake in your fifth grade classroom for the kids to play with during recess might have been a little extreme. I still remember when the snake escaped during class, and we spent the whole recess period looking for it only to find it wrapped around the wall clock when we sat down to resume class.

Some folks who feel more worshipful during a quiet, liturgical service might feel uncomfortable with drums, guitars and keyboard, while those who prefer the louder, more energetic music, dancing and raising of hands to worship wouldn't feel that was the least bit extreme. I actually like both at different times--but not in the same service.

Yesterday when I had a therapeutic massage--which many would call extremely painful--my massage therapist told me about her glued-on eyelashes, which will stay on for weeks before they gradually begin to fall out. I thought that was WAY extreme. I wouldn't want glue that close to my eyes, but she loved it, and she told me about how much fun it was to flirt with her extended eyelashes. She looked great, but that's not for me. On the other hand, you might feel it extreme to undress and crawl beneath sheets in order to let someone come into the room and uncover a piece of you at a time and squeeze the toxins out of your body inch by inch for an hour.

I'm not into extreme sports, but I've found that each of us has done or seen something in our lives that others would feel was extreme, whether it's getting a tattoo, attempting a new hair color, new makeup, white-water rafting or feeding dirt to your fellow first-graders. Maybe you've gone sky-diving (I have a friend who did, and not too many years ago, and she's my age) or ocean kayaking (which Mel felt was a little too extreme for him) or you've seen some idiot dive off a bridge to a lake far below even when you told him not to. We all live lives of extremes--from extreme boredom to extreme amazement to extreme fear.

Got any stories to tell? I know the rest of us would love to read them. What's extreme to you?

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 11:32 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 5:22 AM, Blogger jel said...

I hear that the taco at Taco Bell are Extreme! :)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Where can I get those eyelashes, assuming of course, that I could get them on right-side-up?

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL, jel. I never believe what those signs tell me. I don't even eat at Taco Bell anymore, but I dare you to eat at Soo's in Springfield, Missouri. They have extreme oriental food that is healthy--but get the mild stuff.

Ane, you don't have to put them on yourself. you have it done at a spa. So they would so it right side up. Go for it! Then tell us what it's like.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

My friend does those eyelashes. They're pretty cheap here. Like $30 bucks or something. But not for me. I would end up looking like Lucy or something.

Being an introvert going to conference is extreme to me. I find myself going back to my room quite a bit just to regroup and relax after sooo much social stimulation. LOL. That's about as extreme as I get, Cheryl.

I thought of you, this week. We've decided to go to St Louis for vacation this year because they have loads of free stuff for the family.

We're doing the zoo, the science museum, the arch, and purina farm. Is there anything you'd be sure not to miss?

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Sabrina, Mel lived there for awhile. Waterfront is neat. Don't forget to do Shaw Botanical Gardens. Also, the Katy Trail goes from St. Charles to Clinton, MO, all the way across the state, and it's wonderful to walk on and bike on. You can rent bikes if you wish.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger jel said...

it' was 4 in the AM when i wrote that comment , I don't eat there myself, haven't be to Springfield in years,

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

jel, what are you doing up at 4 am? I thought I was the only one who stayed up at such hideous hours!

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger jel said...

I get up at 3am every morning.

to get DH off to work, and then I go down to stay with mom, when the others go to work!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Wow. That's what I call EXTREME!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz