Girls Write Out
Monday, January 31, 2011
Denise took my topic yesterday right out of my mouth, er, fingers. I am also plotting out a new series idea. And the more books I write, the more I'm convinced that we women need relationship even in our reading material. Friendship among women is what makes us live longer and keeps us happier. That even extends to our reading material!

I loved this quote from a UCLA Study on Friendship.
In one study, for example, researchers found that people who had no friends increased their risk of death over a 6-month period. In another study, those who had the most friends over a 9-year period cut their risk of death by more than 60%. Friends are also helping us live better. The famed Nurses' Health Study from Harvard Medical School found that the more friends women had, the less likely they were to develop physical impairments as they aged, and the more likely they were to be leading a joyful life. In fact, the results were so significant, the researchers concluded, that not having close friends or confidants was as detrimental to your health as smoking or carrying extra weight.

I love that sentence in red because it tells me Di is going to outlive us all. :) This past year was just a blip on her screen of joy. Love you, girlfriend! I was thinking this week about last January and our time at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion IL.

Our craving for companionship extends to many areas. That was brought home to me tonight. Kara and I were doing our nightly Pilates together. Instructor Denise Austin was telling us to lift our legs up along with our chests. This movement is really hard for me (your legs and arms are kind of in a V.) I caught the order for the new pose, but Kara didn't so I was suffering alone. I yelled, "Kara!" and she thought she was doing something wrong. And she was. She wasn't joining in my suffering as I turned my toes out "like a ballerina." LOL Then we got so tickled we had trouble holding our legs up there. And periodically through the rest of the workout, we giggled.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to continue my workouts without my baby girl. She's made it actually FUN.

This study said that when women are stressed they often pull back on friendships and that's the worst possible thing for them to do. So what about you? Are you nurturing your friendships? Your assignment today is to call a friend you haven't talked to in a while. No, don't email them. CALL them. And make plans to get together. Then report back to here. We'll be your accountability partners. :)

And I'd love to hear how a friend or two has enriched your life.


Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 11:32 PM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

"As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset." Exodus 17:11-12

Last year, when my strength left with the last thread of hair, Colleen, Denise, Kristin, Cheryl were all there to "hold me up" through prayer, encouragement, emails, phone calls. They, no doubt, added years to my life with their loving support.

Many of you I've never met but feel as though I know because of your sweet support through cyberspace. Thank you!

Friendship is a wonderful thing. And it's just as important to be a friend as to have one. Thanks for the challenge to call someone today, C. Let me know
when the best time is to call you today. :-)

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Over time and working out at the time, I became friends with a gal at Curves. She loves to read and I love to share books. :) Not only have we become close friends, she's also become one of my beta readers. :) In fact, we going to lunch together today ... then to Curves to work it off.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I so love that verse, Di!!!

Ane, there's something about exercise that CRIES OUT for companionship. LOL

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger jel said...

if that is true, i'm in trouble!


Does any one want some snow, ya and have it for free! ;)

got way more then I want!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

We're getting plenty of our own, Jel but thanks for the offer. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz