Girls Write Out
Friday, December 03, 2010
Diann's post yesterday inspired me, and since Barbara, one of my fifty-five maternal first cousins, sent me some cute pictures yesterday, I thought I'd share, knowing that at least Diann would enjoy this. But first, can someone tell me if this is a fox or a coyote? I'm thinking fox because of the bushy tail.

At any rate, the minute I saw this I thought of Diann and smiled. Not that I think Diann is a fox's hind end, mind you. Not at all. Just that I can see her diving into the snow like that. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this little animal is after a littler animal for dinner, but let's not think about that.

Yesterday, Diann got me to thinking. I don't play much in the snow anymore. I used to. My parents used to take me to the mountains when we lived in California so I could see what snow looked like. I really didn't get it, though, until we moved here to Missouri, where there are no mountains, and where there are days--sometimes even weeks--when we can step outside into all the snow we want.

I found out snow can be used for lots of things. You can build a fort, you can use it to put out a fire (our barn burned the first year we moved here) and you can make snowmen, snow angels (snow angels are a lot less work than snowmen) and you can also take a handful and sneak it inside someone's clothing and listen to them scream. (That was the year Mel first discovered what he'd gotten into when he married me.)

My favorite thing to do with snow, though, is make snowcream. I've been warned that it can be bad for you because of the contaminants in the snow, but what foods are totally free of contaminants these days? Besides, we live in a small town amongst other small towns with very little air pollution--and if you know better than me, please don't burst my bubble.

What's your favorite thing to do with snow?

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 11:18 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

It's a fox. Coyotes are mangy. And they're ugly colored too. My favorite thing to do in the snow? Stay out of it and wear a cute hat.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL, Kris! But if you wear a cute hat, you'll forget to comb your hair, and then you could get caught on television with messy hair.

You're right, it looks like a fox.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

Just don't eat the yellow snow.

And there is a mountain, though it's nothing like what you were used to.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

ROTFL!! Good one, Timothy. That's why it's a good idea to collect the snow in daylight hours--you miss any little pieces of wood or dirt that may have blown into it if you collect at night--and yellow doesn't show up as well.

I knew there was a "mountain" up near the Lake of the Ozarks area, but I don't think it's actually tall enough, foot wise, to be considered a mountain.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Love the picture, Cheryl! We used to make snowcream, too. Don't do it these days, though. still I could easily see myself as that fox in the picture--so caught up in the winter wonderland, feeling a tad too ambitious, and getting, well, stuck. LOL

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I did that, Diann. I went hiking in the snow and ate the snow as I hiked and I was chilled to the core when I got back to the car. Not smart. But it was so soft and white and innocuous.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I laughed at this post, Cheryl! Have you seen that video of the dog in the 6' of snow? He runs UNDER it all over their yard, occasionally jumping up to the surface. Really funny. Shadrach, our mastiff, loves the snow. Most animals do, so that fox may well have been simply having a Diann moment. ;)

My favorite thing to do in the snow is watch it fall. Like you, I was raised in SoCal. When we moved to upstate NY, I saw flakes as big as silver dollars during one storm. And the silence! Oh the silence during a snowfall! It's almost a holy silence.

Can you tell I love snow? ;)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, Ane, I love to watch it snow, too. I just perch at the window, mouth open, calling Mel to come watch it with me. Especially when the wind blows it a little and it dances. Oh, my!

I think on some blog in the past I've mentioned one young cat who, when she saw her first snow, ran out into the yard and started yowling at the top of her lungs. We thought she was upset. Turns out, she was calling the rest of us, cats and humans, to come play with her in it. So yes, animals enjoy, too.

Of course, I can talk this way because we haven't had our first snow of the season, and it hasn't stopped any plans...yet.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger jel said...

love it when it's snows, if ya don't have to drive in it!

snow is great for taking pictures

and snowball fights :)

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That's why we got all-wheel-cars. Mel has to drive in whatever we get, and there's no calling in that he won't be there due to bad weather. That's the worst part of snow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz