Girls Write Out
Monday, December 20, 2010


Denise's Favorite Reads of 2010

It's that time of year again. I hope you'll find something interesting on my list. These days if I can get through a story, that alone makes it a winner in my book (no pun intended). These novels kept me spellbound. As usual, to prevent this list from looking like unwinsome self promotion, I've omitted my very favorite authors, the Girls Write Out girls. :-)

Don't forget to tell me your favorite title of 2010--I have B&N gift cards I'm dying to put to good use!

In no particular order:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett--Never mind the uninspired cover and boring-sounding plot. BUY THIS BOOK! Debut novel.

Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner--She weaves the present and past for an elegantly told romantic tale.

Her Mother's Hope and Her Daughter's Dreams by Francine Rivers--A 2-book family saga that'll keep you Italicreading happily for weeks.

Summer's Child by Diane Chamberlain--A newborn baby turns up on a beach, no mother in sight. Diane Chamberlain tells a tale of romance and mystery.

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen--Another uninspired cover overcome by good storytelling. Warning, there were some disturbingly graphic scenes in this one.

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah--Another story that blends past and present with style.

House Rules by Jodi Piccoult--A boy with Asperger's Syndrome becomes entangled in a legal snare.

The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano--Unusual and engrossing story of a woman in the witness protection program and the Mafia man assigned to find her. Debut novel.


Denise Hunter  
posted at 8:00 AM  
  Comments (13)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
13 Comments:
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

--"The Help" --Kathryn Stockett
--"Her Mother's Hope" --Francine Rivers
--"The Friday Night Knitting Club 1 & 2"--Kate Jacobs
--"One Month to Live" --Kerry Shook (very uplifting!)

Beyond that, I can't remember which ones I liked best. I was on drugs (medical reasons, mind you). :-)

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

LOL Di! Would I like the Knitting Club books or do you have to be a knitter to fully appreciate it?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger jel said...

I got one for ya
"ONE LANE BRIDGE" BY DON REID
of the Statler Bros.

it's a VERy good Myster

my DH read "Almost Heaven" by Chris Fabry, he really liked it
I haven't read it let

merry christmas

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Thanks, Jel! I looked up One Lane Bridge and it sounds good. I'll have to give it a try.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Return to Sawyerton Springs - by Andy Andrews

Split Ends - by Kristen Billerbeck

The Convenient Groom - by... well you know. =)

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

LOL Batesa3! Thanks. The Andy Andrews book looks good!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I think one of my favorites this year was "Whisper on the Wind" by Maureen Lang. I also really enjoyed Colleen's new Lighthouse series and "Driftwood Lane" was really good too (I saved it to take to the hospital and read it while I was in labor). :)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I know this book isn't brand new, but I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Very different, but one I became accustomed to the style, it was enjoyable.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Thanks Sarah and Cheryl. I almost bought that one Cheryl but the format put me off. Still, I probably should give it a try. I've heard a lot of rave reviews.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger jel said...

Cheryl, I read that book too,
I got it for the title of the book,
it was a good read! :)

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Oh! Too hard to name just a few. I'll give it a try, though:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Rain Song by Alice Wisler
Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (free on Kindle)
Driftwood Lane by you!
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
Reclaiming Nick by Susan May Warren
Love Starts with Elle by Rachel Hauck

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Never2manybooks said...

I loved all your choices Denise. I also read and loved Sarah's Key by
Tatiana de Rosnay. I loved all the Yada Yada Prayer Group books by Neta Jackson. I also loved the spin off series she has from it. So many ah ah moments in those books.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

I enjoyed reading a lot of great paperbacks here are just a few of them that I've read Reconstructing Natalie by Laura Jensen Walker, Never Say Never by Lisa Wingate, A lady like Sarah by Margaret Brownley, Under the Cajun Moon by Mindy Starns clark, Weddings by Bella series by Janice Thompson, Ladies of Summerhill: #1 Love on a dime by Cara Lynn James, She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell, Wings of glory: #1 Distant Melody by Sarah Sundin and Lake Manawa Summers: #1 Making waves by Lorna Seilstad
I think a got a little carried away :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz