Girls Write Out
Thursday, September 16, 2010

Okay, I'm starting to scare myself.

I've been told once you have chemo you develop "chemo brain." But as you know, my chemo adventure is over (thank You, Lord!) and I'm wondering just how long I can blame things on the chemo brain.

Case in point. My granddaughter's third birthday was on Monday. Now, most of you know that I am a doting Nanny. I am totally crazy about all of our grandkids. So what I'm about to confess just cuts me to the core.

I knew her birthday was on the 13th, but what I didn't realize was that MONDAY was the 13th. What with planning for the writer's conference, chemo brain, and all that, I just plain didn't realize the date. I sent a gift by mail on Monday, but I was late (she lives two hours away).

Just one question. Why is it the MEN never get in trouble for this????? It's always up to the women to come through for those kids, doggone it!!

Okay, so hubby and I talk about it and we decide we'd give her a gift card to Target so her mommy and daddy could help her pick something out. When I go to bed that night I'm telling my hubby how awful I feel about it and he says, "I told them you were sending a gift card." I jolted upright in bed.

Hubby: "What's the matter?"
Me: "I sent them a check."
Hubby: "Well, that's all right. That works."
Me: "But I also bought the gift card!"

We laughed about it but the fact that I bought the gift card on Monday, the same day I sent the check, is just, well, scary!!! Can I blame it on the conference? On Chemo? Please don't tell me it boils down to old age--oh, well, I guess you can tell me that if you want to. I'll never remember!

Do you ever have moments like these?

Diann Hunt  
posted at 9:31 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Oh, my goodness, Di. You crack me up.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger jel said...

it happens !

have a good weekend :)

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Diann,

I have been told by numerous sources that we get to claim chemo brain for the rest of our lives, lol! Which is a little frightening, but DOES come in handy.

Be careful driving, though. A friend and I were talking one day and found out that we BOTH had trouble at stop lights. For both of us, we WOULD stop, but had to remind ourselves that we could not just go because there was no traffic. Weird.

Keep your sense of humor, Diann, the fun has just begun!! :-)

Love you,
Bev

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Diann! My daughter's 3rd birthday was Monday! How fun! :)

You are too funny.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Careful, Diann. What you are describing is part of the "aging process." You know...as when your doctor tells you that what's wrong with your body is because you are aging. (I HATE that!!!!) I would rather any other excuse than "aging."

I use a lot of pain medication as well as a whole list of other drugs to keep me together. When I forget something, can't get the right word out, need help remembering a name, or any number of other deficiencies, I always apologize saying, "You'll have to excuse me. I'm on drugs." Those who don't know me or my medical history always...and I mean ALWAYS...look at me with alarm. It's so much fun!

So, dear Diann, allow the faux pas to mount up and enjoy the response of people around you when you tell them about your "chemo brain."

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, Diann, I do that kind of thing all the time, so it's definitely age...since we're the same age. My mother's birthday was Monday, as well. I kept having to remind her of it, over and over and over again. She doesn't think she's as old as I told her she is.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Yes! I have pregnancy brain and today I made a breakfast casserole before work and left the oven on all day!!!! OOPS!!!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Di, baby, those moments become days like this! LOL All the time, girlfriend. And yes, you can blame it on conference. After all, all writers are weird. Your granddaughter will just get used to it. She'll roll her eyes and say, That's my Nanny!" ;)

Now come find me and give me my hug!!!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Crystal Mazzuca said...

Milk the chemo brain thing for all it's worth ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz