Girls Write Out
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
This past weekend I had the chance to go with friends to the Women of Faith conference in Indy. I'd been looking forward to it for months. I had chocolates to take back to the Women of Faith team, but the only one I had a chance to say hello to was Patsy Clairmont because Friday night I got hit with the same virus Denise had this weekend. So I spent Friday night and Saturday in bed at the hotel. Bummer!

But all that to say how much fun it is to be around girlfriends. When girls get together we talk about stuff like hair and makeup. Clothes and shoes. Diet and God. Something Patsy (I think it was Patsy but it might have been Andy Andrews who was also fabulous!) said on Friday really struck me. She said the best friends are those who hold you up to a higher standard. Who make you better than you are. I don't think I've heard a more true statement. We have acquaintances we let our hair down with but sometimes we get home and think I wish I'd never said or done that. A true friend encourages you to reach for something higher. To stretch and grow. And especially to reach for more of God.

So let's be that to one another. I'll go first with my piece of advice to all of you but I want to hear from you too. Here's mine:

If you've been saved a while and and feel as though that first excitement has waned, go find the first Bible you used when you were a new Christian. Smell the leather. Turn the pages that are faintly yellow now. Look at what you've underlined and remember what you were going through at that time. Remind yourself of God's faithfulness. Now see if you can find a women's Bible study to be involved with and use that Bible. I've been doing this for the past two weeks with some ladies I went to church with over twenty years ago. It's been a real encouragement to me.

Now your turn. Give us your best piece of advice on reaching for more of God or for a better relationship of some kind with a spouse.

Labels: , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:54 AM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Great post, C! I'm currently doing the Beth Moore study of Daniel with an out of town friend. I Skype her on Monday afternoon and we talk about the lesson. Such fun!

Anyway, she said something yesterday that her Pastor had said and she never forgot it. So full of truth and challenge, so I wrote it down:

"You will know you have a servant's heart by how you respond when treated like one."

Wow.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Beth Moore studies are my favorites but I've done them all. I hope she comes out with another soon.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I think we do that with each other, don't we? Spur each other on? Don't let each other get away with anything? I hope we're not afraid to speak the truth to each other here, though I know on an open forum it can be scary.

Diann, I loved the Daniel study by Beth Moore, and so did Mel. That's a great way to draw closer to your husband, in my opinion. Study the Bible together. Using the video really helped keep Mel's attention, and with our crazy hours--his deadly work schedule of mingled nights and days--that works best for us. We could do it any time.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I love that, Di!

I'm doing A Heart Like His right now.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Crystal Mazzuca said...

When it comes to Bible Study, I'm a huge BSF fan! Bible Study Fellowship is one of the most challenging, in depth, awesome studies I've had the pleasure of being a part of. Plus, I get to go with my BFF! Right now, I pestering my mom and mom-in-law till they at least give it a try :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz