Girls Write Out
Monday, May 24, 2010

LOST, THE FINAL ANALYSIS
Okay, maybe that was tacky. (for you Trekkie fans that was a play on Space: the Final Frontier) but I digress. LOL I LOVE the show LOST. Until it aired, my favorite TV show of all time was Star Trek. But LOST has blown everything out of the water. So I was waiting with bated breath (literally!) for the ending show. I stayed up until 11:30 to watch it, no easy feat for this early to bed girl. But it was soo worth it! So I thought I'd give you my view of how the ending when down. There are opinions all over the web about it today. here's mine: It was the right ending. Sure, I would like to have seen them live happily ever after on the island. But here's my takeaway.

1. Everything on the island really happened. At the final scene, they were all there. Aaron had been born. Hurley had been protecting the island for a long time and Ben had been his #2 because Hurley says something about it. It was clear all the memories they had of what went on at the island were intact.

2. We still don't exactly know what the island was but we know this: what they did mattered. And isn't that just like our faith here? We are told to do something. We are obedient. We don't see the eternal significance at all but we know there is one. We may not ever understand the meaning of what we do here until we cross into heaven.

3. The sideways flash was a glimpse of some kind of place where they were all going to meet up. Some of them died on the island. Some of them made it off the island. Kate told Jack, "I missed you." So she made it off. (At first I thought maybe that old plane crashed after Jack looked up as he was dying but no.) Jack's dad said, "Everybody dies. Some sooner than others." So that final scene was after they had all died, at different times.

4. Here is the interesting part for us romance writers. Michael Hauge in his seminar calls it a problem with a lot of things he sees. Why did these particular characters end up together? LOST is did this totally right. The love connection brought out the best in the other person. They needed the other one to become the person they were always meant to be. I'll admit when Charlie and Claire were reunited, I sobbed. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. LOL So kudos to the writers for a terrific job on this!

Actually kudos to the writers for some of the best writing in a show I've ever seen. Sawyer was my favorite. The way he changed and grew was terrific. And Hurley. Loved that guy! I loved them all actually. It was a terrific cast and a great six seasons.

So what about you? Did you watch the show? What struck you?

Labels: , , , , , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:09 PM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I LOVED the end of the show. And I really like the thoughts you have at the end of it. I was sad that they all died but that's exactly what happens in life. We die. The miraculous part for us in reality is that there truly is an afterlife and better than we could EVER imagine. Eternal life with the most amazing King who loves us and died for us. :) I really am going to miss this show too!

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I can't wait to see it! I'm glad it lived up to your expectations. I still think it was a hint of purgatory, but then I haven't seen season 6 at all. Waiting for Netflix...

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Crystal Mazzuca said...

SOOO glad to see someone else who liked the finale! The more I thought about it, the more I loved it...even if Mr. Echo got left out :( My big tears came when Sawyer and Juliet were reunited. I think it ended perfectly, they kept us guessing till the end (because I don't think ANYONE saw the sideways world as what it was!), and answered all of our questions!

Well, most of them.

Why did the man in black become the smoke monster? Anyone?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh good questions, Crystal! I wondered why throwing him into the light turned him into the smoke monster too. Maybe it was a symbol for his black heart?

Dave and I were talking last night and I thought of another thing that struck me. In every generation there are God's people who promote God's light. They carry on the torch, so to speak. Jack turned it over to Hurley who enlisted Ben's help. They served the light for a long time before they died then turned it over to someone else.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

well you made it quite clear to me yesterday that I was CRAZY :) :) for not watching ... but it sounds like there were nuggets of writing wisdom to be had. (which I found in the 24 finale with Jack Bauer! :) lol

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Kathy Kovach... said...

I blogged yesterday about how the LOST writers crafted their story to perfection. http://craftcinema.blogspot.com/

I'm still mulling the unanswered questions as I read further commentary. I love your take on the smoke monster, Colleen. Of the three who went down into the light, only two came out unchanged: Desmond and Jack. Others had died as we saw their bones, but the Man in Black came out more of a monster than he already was. Perhaps that was his punishment for killing his mother. Desmond and Jack had pure hearts and passed the test.

I wonder how the show would have looked if a Bible believing Christian had written it. Would the water have flowed from the hole rather than into it? Hmm...

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Lena Nelson Dooley said...

My favorite line in the finale was, "I don't believe in much, but I believe in duct tape." Or something like that.

I actually didn't like the finale. I felt cheated. It didn't live up to the rest of the writing in the show.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I loved that line too, Lena! I tweeted about it. It was great!

I've talked to others who didn't like the ending either. I loved it. It felt right to me. But it's was ambiguous, no doubt about it.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I loved Lost. I thought the writers and creators were in a tough spot making an ending that would please and satisfy everyone but I thought they remained true to their writing from beginning to the end. I loved that spirituality was such a central theme throughout the show. With human eyes, it appeared that the smoke monster (evil) could not be beat. The answer was spiritual, going deeper toward the light to fight the battle. They knew they could not win with human strength. So cool! There were such great themes throughout, black and white, dark and light, and redemption. I loved the theme "We'll live together or we'll die alone." I thought it was so cool that they started the show with Jack’s eye opening in the jungle and ended with him closing it in the jungle. They did such a great job on Lost.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I loved that eye thing!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

I caught up on Lost last summer by watching the first five season through Netflix downstreaming video. I thought the earlier seasons were better than the current one that just ended & didn't like the ending. They had Christian allegorical scenes all through it. Jack as "the Christ" figure, sword wound in the side, drinking the water and passing the mantle to Hurley who emulated Peter and enlisted Ben who emulated Paul. But when they all gathered in sort of a purgatory like level of death & the stained glass window had symbols from all religions in it, the message seemed to be do good and it doesn't matter your way, you will all go to heaven.

By the way, the reason Mr. Echo wasn't there was because the actor who played him couldn't get out of another contract to be there for the filming. Nothing to do with the storyline.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Crystal Mazzuca said...

I kind of hoped for a Walt appearance as well, but figured that wouldn't happen since he probably looks like a man now.

I actually have a whole list of questions - thanks, Pamela, for helping me out with the Mr. Echo one! But the great thing is feeling satisfied without having all the answers. I think the writers did an excellent job - especially considering they didn't decide till two years ago how the show would end. I think we all hoped that they figured they knew where they were taking us from the beginning, but they didn't (as seen by the commentary on the DVD of season 1 when they find the hatch. JJ Abrams just wanted a hatch. He had no idea what would be in it or where it would lead!)

Bwahahaha! I need to stop typing before I start crying again! I'm going to miss this show so much!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

Live long and prosper! *Doing the Vulcan solute* lol! I am a proud Trekkie.

No, I have never watched the show, I saw the first episode and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

What we need is another Star Trek series, that would be cool, no awesome!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Colleen, those writers were phenomenal. What struck me was how much I CARED for those characters. And how they've stuck with me. Isn't that what good writing is about?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz