Girls Write Out
Friday, March 05, 2010


Me with my rabbit in college. Why it's here, is one more reason I have trouble with the butt in chair concept. NO reason at all, 'cept I found it.

BIC:

Authors have an acronym for what it takes to get a book done. It's BIC, butt in chair. Get it done. Get it written. Unfortunately, this is a foreign concept to me. I can sit in a chair all day and if the brain isn't firing up, the words aren't going to come. I can sit here, find any number of interesting facts on the Internet. I can email until my heart's content and find any number of ways to waste time with my butt in the chair. Let's say I go Internet-free? Then, surely, I can find something to write, right? Wrong.

I'm on the last scene of my second YA (young adult) and I haven't been feeling it. Part of the problem was a broken thumb (on son) that cost me two days of work, doctor's appointments for my daughter, a schedule for four kids that never stops and a million things still yet to be done. The dog needs her shots. She looks like a mutt, there's bills to pay, galleys to time correctly, summer classes to sign the kids up for, correspondence with son's teachers since he won't be able to play on two soccer teams.

When I say my cup runneth over, it's not a good thing. All of the have-tos weigh on me, and the creative thoughts do not flow. I'm going to the movies this afternoon. To see "The Last Station" and escape the thought of BIC and how it works for other people. Yet not for me. Sometimes, the creative brain needs to be nurtured. Sometimes, life just shuts it down altogether. This is when a new handbag always seems to come in handy. Too bad I have no money. LOL What works for you, if not BIC?

Labels: , , ,

Kristin  
posted at 3:35 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

Gorgeous rabbit! What was its name?

As a busy mom who works part-time outside the home, I truly sympathize with you.

It is difficult to try and squeeze in time for ourselves but we need to to it, otherwise we would go insane and take the kids and hubby with us, lol!

Going to the movies is a great way to relax your mind. Taking a walk in the park, calling up a loved one, or just popping in a great funny video. And even surfing the net could help you get inspired.

I wish I could take some of that load off but God can do it. Just Him.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

God can do it. And sometimes, God wants us to be quiet and reflect and NOT create. I'm still getting used to His timing versus mine. My rabbit was Bunzer. I loved that rabbit. He was trained like a dog, if you flicked the light on outside, he'd come get something to eat. Bananas were his fave, and he'd beg, the ears would fall back. TOOO cute.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

That is such a cute photo of you!

I am finding that creativity breeds creativity. If I don't feel in the mood to write, I might work on something else I do feel like doing. For me, that's crafting or decorating. After I've worked on something else that was creative, I feel more inspired and ready to get that BIC. :)

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

While I'm not an author, I still am a wife and mother, though my family is grown and gone now. I still have BIC moments and what gets me going is guilt. I know I have to get something done and I love to procrastinate. However, guilt usually wins out because I hate how it feels after a while. And I REALLY hate apologizing for missing a deadline!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Such a cute picture of you, K!

I love the movie idea that Leticia mentioned. It always inspires me to come home and write.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

What makes me put my BIC is the fear of coming down to deadline and having to somehow crank out pages and pages of material. Not for me. I'm a steady-as-she-goes kinda gal.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I can procrastinate for days, avoiding the important work. Then when the deadline is upon me, I'm in a stress-inducing panic and am buried in guilt for waiting until the last minute. Yep, that's when I can finally find it in me for BIC. Sigh. Wish I had a better m.o.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

Kristin, guess what? I caught a rabbit Friday night. Apparently this beautiful bunny was abandoned, because he was very, very tame. When I brought him inside he made himself at home. He even jumped in my lap and stayed.

My husband wouldn't allow me to keep him. I sincerely hope the new owners will take great care of him. It was love at first sight.

Bunzer now that is an interesting name. I like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz