Girls Write Out
Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TRUE COURAGE
For we women, our hair is part of our identity. Curly, straight, thick or thin, it's our covering in some special way. This week I got to see real courage in action. Yesterday I got to the hospital. Di looked good. Makeup already on, her cute navy turban in place. I eyed her bright eyes then asked, "The wig appointment is at 9. Do you want me to see if they can do your hair instead?" I was expecting her to waffle and decide not to do this but no. With her head up and her eyes shining, she said very emphatically, "I'm going to do it."

The nurse came in about then and she made the call for me. At ten to nine, the nurse and I helped her into the wheelchair. By now her eyes were gleaming with tears, but we prayed together and I helped wheel her down to the salon on the 1st floor. She didn't want anyone back there as they shaved her head, so I sat on a chair outside the door in case she needed me and prayed. A few minutes later I heard laughter and knew it was going to be okay. Wherever Di is, laughter is sure to be floating in the air! When I next saw her, she looked just the same. Navy turban in place, beautiful eyes shining. But there was a new sense of accomplishment in her face. She'd taken this big step with courage. I was so proud of her!

It would have been more than I could have handled to wait until my hair was falling out in clumps. This way SHE was in control, not the cancer or the chemo. I've just been so encouraged and blessed by her attitude this past week and a half. She has a lot to teach younger women. :-)

I'm home now. I wanted to cry when I left her, but I had to finally get home. Dave had to be back to work, and I have a dr appt tomorrow I've been waiting on. But she's in great hands. I can't recommend the Cancer Treatment Center of America enough! It didn't feel like a hospital but like a really nice Victorian mansion (bigger than that though) and the nurses and doctors were incredible. They prayed with us at the drop of a hat. They have cutting edge technology plus all the support like homeopathy and nutrition guidelines. Dr. Williams and her nurse Carm are wonderful. Supportive and encouraging. It wasn't at all like I expected. Though everyone had cancer, you saw hope everywhere you looked. The food was incredible too! I didn't want to have to come home and cook. LOL

Continue to pray for Di, my dear friends. She has a long road of chemo ahead of her. But a woman who takes charge the way she has will have the fortitude to go all the way! this pic is her with her new wig. Doesn't she look adorable?

Labels: , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 11:20 AM  
  Comments (19)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
19 Comments:
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

How beautiful!! Actually, Diann is giving me a lift even now. Her mood and laughter are contagious. Thanks so much, Colleen, for being the rock we all needed. You reflect God's hovering wings of grace.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Way to do it, Diann!!!!!! I don't know what to comment on first ... how adorable you look, how perfect the wig is, or how I so whole-heartedly agree with how you handled this with laughter and victory!!! And pro-active courage!!! (Trust me in this -- the whole falling out in clumps is not the way to go.)

Enjoy the unexpected perks in the days ahead, my friend, when your getting ready routine is whittled down to "where did I put my wig?" :-) ... when you can make the budget swap of hair supplies for chocolate ... and when you can laugh with Jesus about the ease of counting the number of hairs on your head. :-)

So proud of you, Diann! Your laughter with your stylist speaks volumes! You are an inspiration to those who need to take courage!

Love you much,
Beverly

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Jayja para tí... said...

The people who know you I'm sure know you are one special person who come to our World to bring love...I don't know to much about you, but I know this, for me, you are on first place, the person who love help the others humans...excuse me one time more..., my bad English, I'm sure you can hear my heart on first place!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Jayja para tí... said...

I'm your friend...Triunf...

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

We heard your heart perfectly, and it spoke volumes.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Janett is my sweet Cuban friend from the hcg forum. Thanks sweetie!

Laughing, Bev! I can see it now. . . Cheryl, it's hard to keep Di down for long! :-)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Michelle V said...

That's a beautiful picture! I'm continuing to pray for her!

Blessings
Michelle V

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Catherine West said...

OH, bless you all! You have all been such a shining example of Godliness, true courage and strength under adversity. I pray that if I am ever in circumstances of great need, that I will have friends like you standing by my side. Praying for Diann and all of you as you give her the great support she needs. Going for the tissues now!!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

What a beautiful and courageous story. Di is very blessed to have such sisterly and supportive friends. She and you are truly blessed by God.

And I am praying for Di's complete healing from this attack of the enemy.

God bless!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'm so proud of our friend! She looks adorable, but I'm praying her hair grows back in red. That way, Colleen, she can wear brown!!!!!

;)

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL. When Mel and I went up there a couple of weeks ago, I took a brown top just to tease Colleen. I never had the chance to pull it out and actually wear it (I'm a winter, too). I keep telling Diann her hair may come in curly. My father's did.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger celestemc said...

Di, you look amazing! At first I didn't even realize that was a wig until I read the post. Very natural looking.... I'm impressed!

I do want to say though, some of the most beautiful people I've ever known were the most beautiful when they were bald. My daughter of course - and several people along with her youth group that shaved their heads on her behalf. Now that you've experienced this yourself, you can imagine how blessed we were by the gesture. And the beauty that shined... it was from the combination of courage and love. I still cry (happy tears) when I look at the pictures.

So on those days that you may not feel like wearing your new do... no worries. You are more beautiful than ever - you may not see it - but anyone who knows you will.

Bald is beautiful, in so many ways. Don't worry about beauty by the world's standards...

... and know that the Lord is using your smile to bless and encourage so many. Now that's beauty that Hollywood can't even compete with. You go girl!

And a BIG HOORAY! that it hasn't spread. God is good!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Peggy Blann Phifer said...

Love the picture, love the wig and love the attitude. And truly loving the bond between you all. What a blessing. We're with you on this trip, Di.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

There are some beautiful ladies in my life right now ... you and Chloe! :) I love the beauty in both of your faces and praise the Lord for the miracle that is YOU!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger jel said...

sending good thoughts and a hugg Diann's way! :)

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Jaime, your sweet comment made me cry. What a lovely thing to say!

I appreciate you all so much, you just never will know how much. Your encouragement and prayers have absolutely carried me through this valley.

I don't deserve your sweet friendship, but I'm oh, so thankful you're there.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Abby said...

She looks so good! I've never seen that natural of a wig! I can't imagine being that strong.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

Colleen thank you so very, very much for sharing.

Diann is such a courageous woman and so beautiful. She is an inspiration to us all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz