Girls Write Out
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
I like old people like myself. I mean, not necessarily gloating on myself, here, and not divulging that I'm elderly yet, but there is so much richness and depth to those who have lived a little. In caring for my 84-year-old mother as she struggles with declining physical health, I can't help appreciating her sense of humor, which pops up at odd times when she's really struggling.

Take her smiles at all the ER personnel the other night when we had her in for BP and sugar problems, her "Thank you" for each new tech or nurse, her obvious flirting with the cute doctor (Mel wasn't on duty that night, but a buddy of his was). She thanked each one who came in, each time they came in. Actually, so did I. By the time we left, the whole staff crowded around us and made us feel as if we'd been part of the team. They don't get that kind of treatment a lot, just so you know. They appreciate it when they can get it, instead of anger and yelling and blame thrown at them for things that are not their fault.

My mother, who deals with depression over her situation, is seldom too depressed to lift others up and encourage. She is a member of the Greatest Generation, who worked at Hughes Aircraft during the war, and when she found out she was pregnant with me--who, sadly, turned out to be her only child--she decided she was going to leave a better legacy for her baby. She found Christ, joined a church, and raised me there, though she, herself, had not been raised in church.

Wow. How blessed I have been all these years by people of the Greatest Generation who gave their lives for our country--my uncles who fought in the war, who suffered from injuries both emotional and physical for the rest of their lives, who continues to live the end of their lives with grace, dignity, and compassion. How I pray to have some of that greatness rub off on me.

I have a friend who reflects this very same kind of grace to others. Her name, as you may have guessed by now, is Diann Hunt. She smiles in the midst of tears and trials, and lifts the rest of us poor saps up--those of us who haven't traveled her path...yet. Her grace also reflects that of my other friends: Colleen, Denise and Kris.

If for no other reason, I'm glad to be living in these years of "middle age." Maybe someday people will look at us and, though they may not say we were part of the Greatest Generation, they may very well bless us for grace shown to others. May that be said of me some day.

Pray for our beloved Diann as she, hopefully, goes home today. Pray for her hourly as she deals with the effects of chemo. And thank God for her, because she touches hearts and lifts spirits wherever she goes.

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 3:00 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Hannah, I hope to age with grace, too. I hope to be a sweet old lady some day. I have other dreams in between, but you know what I mean!

Any word on how the first chemo went for Diann? Am so hoping for good news!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Diann did great for her first chemo treatment! She felt a little dizzy this morning, but was in great spirits and should get to come home today!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Denise,

Thank you so much for sharing this news! Thank you, Lord, for Your faithfulness!!!

Safe travel, Diann!

Thanks again, Denise! I was so anxious to know!

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

The Greatest Generation is really amazing! We lost my father-in-law nearly a year ago and he was a wonderful man.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

Hi Cheryl,
I know this is posting days after your post, but lately I have been thinking about why God doesn't answer our prayers immediately -- right now. That is what I would like. I want an immediate answer. I apologize in advance for this being long, but it may be because it is hitting my heart very deep at this early hour.

I remembered Daniel asking God and not getting an answer (Daniel 10). He waited 21 days before the answer was brought by an ANGEL, who told him he was delayed in helping him because he had to stop and fight against demonic forces. Real fighting, not something 'in our minds'.

I went searching and came across this excerpt from the commentary by FJB (if I remember right, lol). As I think of Diann and how she has had to face this twice and wondering the whys of it all, I too ask God why He can't just fix everything immediately. BUT, this reminds me, His answer is on the way.
~~~~~~
" thy words were heard-- (Daniel 10:4). Prayer is heard at once in heaven, though the sensible answer may seem to be delayed. God's messenger was detained on the way (Da 10:13) by the opposition of the powers of darkness. If in our prayers amidst long protracted sorrows we believed God's angel is on his way to us, what consolation it would give us!
~~~~~~~~
I am praying God will give all of us, especially Diann, the comfort that He is answering our prayers. It might be yes, no, or wait, but He will answer.

What a blessing to know the angels are working in the background on our behalf! That my Father in heaven loves each of his children and hears our cries as well as our joyful praise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz