Girls Write Out
Monday, June 15, 2009

Procrastination. What would I know about that? Just because it's Monday morning and my blog was due, uh, now, doesn't mean I was procrastinating, does it? The problem was, I didn't find inspiration until this morning. Yeah, inspiration, that was the problem. 

I ran across this quote on Michael Hyatt's blog (www.michaelhyatt.com). The quote is from P. J. O'Rourke.

"Usually, writers will do anything to avoid writing. For instance, the previous sentence was written at one o’clock this afternoon. It is now a quarter to four. I have spent the past two hours and forty-five minutes sorting my neckties by width, looking up the word “paisly” in three dictionaries, attempting to find the town of that name onThe New York Times Atlas of the World map of Scotland, sorting my reference books by width, trying to get the bookcase to stop wobbling by stuffing a matchbook cover under its corner, dialing the telephone number on the matchbook cover to see if I should take computer courses at night, looking at the computer ads in the newspaper and deciding to buy a computer because writing seems to be so difficult on my old Remington, reading an interesting article on sorghum farming in Uruguay that was in the newspaper next to the computer ads, cutting that and other interesting articles out of the newspaper, sorting—by width—all the interesting articles I’ve cut out of newspapers recently, fastening them neatly together with paper clips and making a very attractive paper clip necklace and bracelet set, which I will present to my girlfriend as soon as she comes home from the three-hour low-impact aerobic workout that I made her go to so I could have some time alone to write.”
Can anyone relate? Anyone? I don't have the luxury of this kind of procrastination with my deadlines, but I admit to a more frugal helping of procrastination, usually with a side of justification.
Just five minutes of email--The Girls need my opinion! 
I really to have to make that phone call--they close in, uh, five hours.
Aw, poor Daisy. You really need someone to play fetch with, doncha girl?
Must see what everyone's up to on Facebook. I'm still on the computer, technically I'm still working, right?
The writer of this post is proud to announce that she finished without once leaving her chair. 

Denise Hunter  
posted at 7:29 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Rachel Overton said...

I have NOOOOO idea what you're talking about. I've been at my computer since 7:30 this morning. I've already finished my first project for the day. So there. (Of course, it was only a 2-hr. proofing job. It's now 11:00.)

**Sigh** :-)

I got so much more done before Facebook. And blog-reading. And whatever else it was I've been doing on this silly machine all day.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Betsy St. Amant said...

It is a hard balance because the networking is so important for building a reader base, especially being a new author and not established. (yet! hopefully. lol) Its very easy to spend more time blogging and FB'ing and drinking Diet Coke than writing, but I'm the one who usually works better under pressure. Yay for deadlines.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Candee Fick said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

I started my morning with the Bible and the treadmill. A shower, a couple quick errands (bank, milk) and a load of laundry. Fired up the computer but needed to check the email to make sure there wasn't anything urgent from over the weekend. Sent one reply. Since I was online already, I surfed my favorite blogs for the Monday posts and a bit of inspiration. I'll actually open my WIP and work on rewrites next ... but it's kinda close to lunchtime so I should make the kids a sandwich.

Maybe I need a better reward system? With incentives for getting started quicker each day? Or get a Neo and do my typing on a machine without email/Internet?

Or, sigh, maybe all I need is a tad more self-discipline.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Boy does this describe me! But it's the subconscious needing time to work. At least that's what I tell myself! LOL

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I can totally relate... as my writing assignment is due today and only half done. I guess this makes me a real writer then huh and not just an Apprentice? lol

Glad I'm on the right track with the best of y'all!

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...I saw Michael's post today. It's sooo true.

I've never been one to procrastinate. Even in undergrad/grad school. If a paper was due on a Thursday, it was done on Monday or Tuesday.

I know. I'm a FREAK! You can say it. I'm okay with it. **LOL**

Fun post. Thanks!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

And I am sooooo....glad that I don't have any kind of deadline! I couldn't take the stress. When I was a kid I had a great desire to be a writer but then I saw how much work it entails, and I am like... nope not for me.

So my perverbial hat goes off to all writer's without them I wouldn't have any thing to read....especially my Star Trek novels, perish the thought.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger hotcoffeenow said...

I read this earlier today and was gonna comment.......but I'm just now getting around to doing it. n'est-ce pas? lol

cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz