Girls Write Out
Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's a scorching day at the Little League diamond and a little girl in a pink bathing suit passes by. I say passes, but really it's more of a sashay. She's a cute little thing, 3 or 4, prancing barefoot, carefree.

I watch her dawdle, oblivious to anyone else, caught up in her own world of play and pretend. I try to remember the last time I felt that carefree in a bathing suit--just a few short nevers ago--and wonder what happens to take us from carefree bathing beauties to self-conscious sarong-wearers. 

Is it because of school yard kids pointing out our flaws? The assault of airbrushed images of impossibly beautiful women? Maybe it's the commercials convincing us we need their products to cover our hideous flaws?

Maybe it's a combination of all the above, I'm not sure, but I have a nostalgic moment watching that little girl. I long for that total lack of self-consciousness, wish there were some way to get it back, some way to reverse the cultural damage and see the world through innocent eyes. Until then, I guess I'll buy myself a nice wide sarong for the summer and maybe a cover-up to boot. 
Denise Hunter  
posted at 5:49 PM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

For me it's more of a modesty issue. After reading books on how men think and after being married to one for 17 years I'm a little hesitant to show much skin at all.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Boy, isn't that the truth, D? We're never thin enough, pretty enough, etc. Society pounds that in pretty quickly.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Yeah.... I can identify.... our whole family is doing swimming lessons because my girls are still afraid after several summers worth of instruction (which I made sure to arrange, so THEY wouldn't be have the fear I do.) Since I am fairly sure they are getting it from non-swimming me and my likewise non-swimming husband, I decided that we all needed to confront this fear and get water safe.

But, my Facebook entry the day before was the dread not only of the water, but of a swimsuit in public! I am glad to report that the first 2 week session went well, and we are beginning session II this week, with two drawbacks: moving into the deep end, and a new group of people to see me in said suit!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Modesty is sure a lost art these days, Suzanne. Especially among young women. So sad.

Good for you, Beverly!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Denise! Years ago, I attended a ladies' pool party. All women, mind you. My friend and I were talking when suddenly our overweight, 50 something year-old friend let out a squeal as big as you please, jumped off the diving board, and made a splash big enough to clear the pool.

I looked around. All those sitting down couldn't have been a day over 25 and had yet to see 125 pounds tip the scales. Yet, we would not dare get up from our towel-covered selves so anyone could see us.

Yet, my friend didn't care in the least, and she had the most fun of all that day. I'll never forget her spirit of fun and abandon and how I wish I could capture that same spirit.

Good post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz