Girls Write Out
Wednesday, November 26, 2008


My little aye-aye for your mid-week giggle.


Believe it or not, I hate to shop. I like stuff, don't get me wrong, but I hate to go to the store. I don't really care for the hassle, I get overwhelmed, and really, I shop like a guy. I hunt.

That's why I like Bluefly. The little mannequin is wearing the product, so I can tell how it's cut, and I don't have to try anything on. I abhor trying things on. Mostly because my balance is so bad, and I fall over in the little cubicles. I'm safer at my computer. Plus, maybe it's all those years of being in the mall (I was a mall marketing director for five years in a previous life). Working at the mall, you have too much insider information to actually enjoy it as a destination.

To make matters worse, I had to go. I um, gained some weight, and my Joe's Jeans are not as comfortable as they once were, so I had to shop. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because you know, I've invested in the Joe's (and a new brand called Anlo), so I went to Old Navy. I got a pair of jeans for $19.50. I had no idea you could get a pair of jeans for $19.50. Now they're not as soft, and they don't have the booty fit (ie., for my Beyonce backside! LOL) Wait a minute, that's too kind, I don't mean to compliment myself, I have a big butt, and usually jeans if they fit me in the butt, they hang around my waist. Joe's will make me believe I'm normal. That's a cause I can put my money behind.

Anyhoo, I braved the masses at Old Navy. I used to have a sign in my dorm that read, "I came, I saw, I shopped." Now, it should be, "I sat, I browsed, I shopped." So my question is, will you brave the sales after Thanksgiving? My answer is a resounding no, but tell me, if you will, where will you go first and why?

Labels: ,

Kristin  
posted at 2:12 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

I blogged about Black Friday today here...

http://hilltophomeschool.blogspot.com/2008/11/black-friday-can-be-black-day-indeed.html

I'd rather chew my right arm off than shop, and that's on a good day. The Devil's own minions could not get me to shop on Black Friday.

However since I'm a sucker for a sale, I shop, in my pj's, on my laptop, from my bed on Black Friday.

I LOVE the Internet.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I never go to the store on the day after Thanksgiving! I'd rather be shot. The only way I would go is if Kara or Donna wanted me to. I'd brave the crowds for them, but that's the ONLY way I'd go.

I do most of my shopping on the internet these days.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

We're writers. I wonder how "normal" people feel about Black Friday. I know my SILs love it, but my mom was never a shopper either, so maybe it's genetic.

I did go to the art store today. I'm going to take up painting again to relax.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'm not crazy abotu shopping either. I can make a dash through a store in about 5 hot minutes. If it doesn't jump out at me, I don't get anything.

My mother was different. Whenever she went shopping with me, I always came home with a couple of really nice outfits. That's because she took the time to peruse every rack ... while I tried on the bounty she found. :)

I miss my mom. I hope she's picking out some cute white robes for me and has them ready when I arrive in Heaven.

You know the fit will be divine!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

No way! I barely shop on normal days. I'm like Ane, a quick sweep through and I'm outta there!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, ALL!!!!

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger hotcoffeenow said...

While I love to shop, there's NOTHING that would make me go shopping at midnight on T-giving or later on Friday. No way, no how. My (younger) SIL mocked me for not wanting to join them at the midnight madness. I think people in stores on a normal day are enough to deal with, much less on the biggest shopping day of the year. I like the beauty of shopping online that day!

cheryl

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Georgiana Daniels said...

No. Nuh-uh. Not happening. Like you, I spent too many years working in the mall. Eight years of retail management was more than enough mall time for this chick. My hubby is the one who takes the kids for endless browsing and trying on. Even the thought makes me cringe.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

If'n I brave the crowds, it will only be because I live around the corner from Walmart:-) I don't plan on spending much, and doing mostly catalog shopping so I don't have to deal with stress and crowds (I get claustrophic, panic, and then hot flash--almost passed out at the grocery story yesterday!)

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

So we're all wimps, I guess. Shame on us. Where are you brave ones? We need to hear from you.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

My husband is brave. He's going to Menards to buy me a new wood floor and a living room fan. Knight in shining armour, I tell you. Knight in shining armour! (me the woosy princess who needs rescuing and will be sound asleep in my flannel sheets when he exits the house tomorrow am)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Not a chance. There is no sale good enough to make me get out of bed before the sun comes up. I'll avoid all stores tomorrow and instead spend the day with friends and play as much Beyond Balderdash as we can.

I do know people who are shopping tomorrow. They call it "fun."

My kind of fun involves reading, hot tea and a quiet room.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz