Girls Write Out
Monday, May 26, 2008

A Time to Remember . . . .

First off, THANK YOU to all who have served and are serving to make our world a better place!! We are enjoying freedoms today because of the sacrifices of others and I, for one, will be forever grateful.

Last year I lost my dad and my mother-in-law. Though Mom Hunt is no longer with us, her memory is forever tucked into my heart. She was a Proverbs 31 woman if there ever was one, and her example inspired me more times than I can say. Her music (she played accordian and sang beautifully), her sweet dimpled smile and her kind words were contagious to all who knew and loved her. Though I was only a daughter "in-law," she grafted me into the family as though I was one of her own.

My dad could eat chocolate with the best of them (where do you think I get it?), and some of my best memories were Sunday afternoons when Dad would take us for long drives in the country, meandering no where in particular. I loved those days when the spring air would breeze through the car, Glen Campbell would croon about a love gone wrong, and Dad would hum along, totally relaxed and at peace with the world. His laughter warmed me down to my toes and his strength has made me stronger.

I miss them both. Every. Single. Day.

So today I dedicate my blog to all who have shaped our country and more specifically, to family members who have shaped me into the woman I am today (yes, it's your fault).

And especially Mom Hunt and Dad Walker who I will see again one day. But until then, I will strive to be all I can be for my husband, children and grandchildren in hopes that one day they will remember how much I loved them and wanted God's best for them always.

Maybe there's someone you'd like to specifically remember today? Feel free to share your memory with us.

In the meantime, I'm eating lots of watermelon!!  Whoohooooooo!!!!  Happy Memorial Day!!!
Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:56 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I'd like to pay tribute to my dad who died in 1992. He was a very cool dad--who drove a motorcycle and wore jeans and cowboy boots before other dads did. He was funny: the "party" started when he walked into the room. He was supportive of my mom, my sister, and me--and always had a kind, encouraging word. When he died, he taught me how to "die as a Christian:" unafraid, looking forward to Heaven.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

That is so cool, Pam! I love your last sentence--" . . . unafraid, looking forward to Heaven"!! WOW! What a way to go! Your dad sounds awesome!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

My grandmother was very special to me. I want to be the same kind of grandma she was to me and carry on the tradition (my mom is that kind of grandma to my kids) so I've got big shoes to fill. I still hear Grandma's voice in my head every single day even though she's been gone going on 19 years now. Gosh, how the time has gone by! I'll be seeing her one of these days at this rate! LOL

Also my brother Randy. He was such a good guy, a good dad. It's a constant source of pain that he didn't get to see his kids grow up.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

My grandfather. I was the oldest grandchild and got a LOT of attention. He was in his early 40s when I joined the family. I hear stories of each time he went by my house, he stopped to pick me up and took me to get a slushie. Each year his VFW post went out to hide Easter eggs for the town hunt. He made sure I always made it to the hunt.

He was quite the tease. You just never knew what he was going to do next. Each time he passed by you, he would tickle you in the ribs and make a funny noise. One other thing I found quite funny was each morning he poured his coffee from his cup into a saucer and slurped it out. I learned later in life, he was always in a hurry for work. This helped his coffee cool faster. I thought it was the funniest way to drink coffee. When I played house, I drank my coffee that way.

He didn't become a Christian til late in life. He made a huge change. He seemed like a gruff man but was really a puddle of mush inside.

His goal was to live until my wedding which he did. I was so excited to have him there. Cancer took him about 4 months later.

I joke frequently that my oldest son must have met him in heaven and he gave him a few tips on living here. My son definitely has his stubborn trait!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Chelf said...

I have two posts recently at my blog that are right along these lines.

www.chelfspace.blogspot.com

Thanks for your thoughts!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Your blog brought tears to my eyes, today, Di, by reminding me of my dad and mom who did the same for me.

Thanks for the sweet reminder. And thanks for the mascara tracks running down my face.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

We are blessed with a great heritage, are we not?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz