Girls Write Out
Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I admit that I don't follow politics very closely, but every year when the president gives his State of the Union Address, I'm there.


This year, it was a family event. I'm not sure what brought my boys to the TV set that night. Probably the fact that all their shows were ditched because of the address. (If they think it's bad now, they should've been born back in my day when we had a total of 3 channels to choose from and all three were covering the address. And yes, I did tell refute the whining with that statement.)


Now for the big admission. I don't watch the speech to hear what the president says. Not that it doesn't matter or that I don't find it interesting. I just don't find it near as interesting as watching Congress acting like a bunch of babies. Hey, it's where I'm at.


Who's sitting? Who's clapping? Who's yawning? Who's snubbing? It's a people-watchers delight, that speech. My boys stayed around for the whole thing.


"Look, he's not even clapping."


"Why is only half the room applauding?"


"Why is she reading that paper while the President talks? That's rude."


Ah, American politics at its best. My kids are learning early.
Denise Hunter  
posted at 7:07 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Kind of the same reasons I go to sporting events.

"I can't believe she's wearing that"

"oooh the band is playing a song I know"

"Let's do the wave"

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

That's exactly why I love to watch too, D! It's pure entertainment. LOL

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

My thought was that Pelosi needed a refresher on the facelift, but that's me. : )

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

Ha. We got to sit in on a session of the House of Representatives one morning during last summer vacation. Oh my.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Have you ever seen the British parliament heckling each other? Equally rude, but less subtle.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Melanie's Words Work said...

You want to enjoy people watching? Try having access to the full Associated Press database of photos during such speeches, red carpet events and more. I'm pretty sure I saw Hilary Clinton picking her nose last year.

I think photographers delight in snapping shots of politicians looking stupid. The mugs I used of Clinton and McCain in today's paper both look maniacal. They both have their mouths open, and Hilary's eyes look like they're about to bug out. I didn't have a choice, though. They were all bad.

I must confess, though, that I have to fight the temptation to deliberately choose stupid pictures of politicians I loathe.

I love working Golden Globe and Oscar nights with other girly girls so we can do our own version of a red carpet show. "How can she keep that thing on?" "Where did THOSE come from?" "Um, did she look in the mirror before she left the house?" "Johnny Depp needs his mommy to dress him better."

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I'm the same way! That's also the reason I go to museums. My husband goes for the educational experience, but I go to people watch. :-)

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Chelf said...

Our comment about Pelosi reading was related to Bill Clinton falling asleep behind the speaker on MLK day. We said, "at least SHE is awake." It even looked like she was paying a bit of attention, because she stood and clapped when it was appropriate for the Dems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz