Girls Write Out
Monday, January 21, 2008
CREATURE COMFORTS

Some people get attached to a comfy pair of shoes, others get attached to a favorite T-shirt or a recliner. My husband? He’s attached to his pillow.

I’m not sure how long Kevin’s had it, but it came into our marriage with him almost 19 years ago and I think it was his dad’s pillow before that. So this pillow . . . well, it’s seen better days. Nevertheless, I did steal it for a while several years ago; It was firm and just the right thickness.

Several months ago, tragedy struck. The Pillow came up missing. I’ve looked high and low more than once, checking under every pillow case, in every closet. And still, no Pillow.

Kevin had the audacity to accuse me of throwing it away. I confess I considered it after watching an Oprah special on microscopic creatures and discovering that the Pillow was so heavy because of dust mite droppings. Ick. I think that’s when I bought an allergy-proof cover and gave his pillow back.

Kevin has tried every other pillow in the house and none of them measure up. Everything now gets blamed on the missing Pillow. Headaches, backaches, toothaches—all because he’s sleeping with an inferior pillow.

So, if anyone comes across a really heavy, king-sized, dust-mite infested pillow with an allergy-proof cover, can you please let me know? At the very least, the thing deserves a proper burial.
Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:31 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

I always take my own down pillow with me when I do a road trip. Haven't yet figured out how to keep room in a suitcase to pack it on airplane trips. Nothing like your own pillow in a strange place. I read somewhere that President Bush always carries his own pillow too. If the prez can do it, why not me??? :-)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Pam-this would be me, too. There is something about your own pillow.

Wonder what strange place this pillow will turn up? Amazing how things can grow legs and walk away!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

This sounds like my husband, Denise! Brought a pancake thin pillow into our marriage and insisted he could sleep on nothing else. I finally said (after 20 years and after reading that same dust mite article) it's me or the pillow. We found the perfect replacement called a Slender Pillow at www.vermontcountrystore.com It's perfect, if a little pricey at $25. But worth it, since our marriage has now gone 33 years. Come to think of it, it's time to replace his pillow again. ; )

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh that's hilarious, D! Would it have been left at a hotel during a trip? We did that once with Dave's favorite.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

We have never taken this pillow anywhere! I'm beginning to think it self-combusted.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I thought I was the only woman alive who had this pillow thing with her husband! I wish my husband's would disappear! Ackkkk!!! I've offered many a replacement over the years, but nothing doing! It's this one or he can't sleep! I thought folks eventually outgrew their security blankets....er....pillows.

Hmmmmm? Wonder if there is a name for this phenomenon?

Kim

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Remember in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles where Steve martin dreamed about having his hand between two really big marshmallows? Well maybe Kevin dreamed he was at a campout and he ate a really big marshmallow because, a pillow is kind of a hard thing to lose without a motel stay.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

ROFLOL!!! That is so MAN. I'm so not attached to mine. I only use them for a year or so, then out they go and the new ones come in. I love new fluffy pillows. :o)

Uhm, do we need to send flowers for the burial?

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

It was an idol. he had to let it go. LOL

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Melanie's Words Work said...

Maybe the dust mites ate it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz