Girls Write Out
Thursday, October 04, 2007

We have an unwanted house guest. We have tried to get rid of her twice, but so far, no luck. Sometimes when I open the door, here she comes, crawling toward me with her thick, black legs. Other times, she hides under things.


No, this is not a person, and okay, it's not exactly our house. It's our mailbox. And the unwanted guest is--close your eyes tight--a hairy, black spider.


I found her a week ago. Okay, she found me. I was reaching in, all innocent-like, to get my mail, and the disgusting thing came out of nowhere. I was able to reach aound it to retrieve the letters.


The next day, I have Kevin pull the car up to the box. When I opened it, there it was. "Get it, get it!" I scream.


Kevin leans across the passenger seat and whacks at the mailbox door with newspaper.


"Did you get it?" I ask.


"I got it."


"Are you sure? Did you see a body?"


He claims he did.


All I know is, when I go to the mail box the next day? Hairy black spider. I should just reach in and squash it with something. I know I should. But . . . ick. I sneak the letters out and close the door.


The next day . . . I head to the mailbox with a can of Raid. Okay, you nasty thing, you've had it now. I open the door and spray. Heavily. There is an LA size smog around our yard. I close the door and spray the outside for good measure. I leave feeling like warrior woman. I have come. I have conquered.


The next day . . . my mail smells like Raid. Oh well. I shake each piece as I remove it. Just in case. My kids laugh at me from behind the window.


Today, I reach for the mail. I have all but forgotten the spider. But it hasn't forgotten me. If it isn't her, it's her twin. She comes crawling toward me on thick, black legs, the spider that won't die. Maybe I should just put out a "vacancy" sign out and invite all her relatives. Or maybe I'll just send Kevin out there with a shoe.


Denise Hunter  
posted at 7:40 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rhonda/WA state said...

Hopefully, with the colder weather coming, she'll decide to hibernate elsewhere!

My 11 year old son absolutely hates spiders. He must have 50 blankets scrunched up on his bed between him and the wall. I don't believe he ever thought that a spider just might climb right over fort knox to get to him.

By the way, did all the spraying get rid of her? You probably gassed your mailman too!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh gross! I hate spiders with a passion! You're a brave woman. I'd be sending Dave to get the mail until I was sure it was dead. LOL

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Katy McKenna said...

After so much spraying, I can usually count on the critter to DROWN!! :) Seriously, I always ask Doug, "Did you get it?" and he always says, "Yes." And even though he's not a liar, I don't believe him.

Two weeks ago, though, he killed a six-foot long snake outside our garage, just so the thing wouldn't scare the bejeebers out of me when I pulled up in the car. Hurt his back hacking it to death, too. Then bagged it up in a trash bag. My hero!!

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Gosh, when we moved into this house, we had these HUGE brown spiders that jump! That is just beyond creepy to have jumping spiders. Now we've sprayed and they're gone. But i did have a little snake in my bathroom the other night.

Luckily it wasn't a rattle snake because it bit my husband when he tried to take it out. Bear Grylls he's not, but wow, that was freakish. This was a FAST snake too. Ack!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe you could put one of them sticky pad's to trap insect's or mice on, in the mailbox, after you get the mail on Saturday, than on Sunday send dh to go see if spider has been trapped on the glu pad and if so spray it .Just A thought...

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

I think I see a horror spoof in the making Denise. "Denise Verses the Black Ugly Spider." :)

I don't mind spiders myself. Now snakes..... shiver!

Keep the can of Raid close by!

Rachel

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I HATE spiders. Ick. I'm not sure, though, of mu husband hates them worse. It's a riot when we find one.

"Kill it!" I scream.

"You kill it," he says.

We go round and ruond till the spider commits suicide. I hate them. If only we oculd teach Shadrach to eat them, then he'd be worth something.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

I have a little something for all four of you wonderful ladies at my blog...and a huge thank you for your influence in my life as a woman of God:

http://wholly-devoted.blogspot.com/2007/10/god-just-knew-i-needed-boost.html

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

We have icky hairy spiders lounging by our front door, which scares the daycare kids on their way into my house. Normally I'm not freaked out by bugs or spiders, but these are soo...big and black. Ugh.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Aw, Deena that's so cool! Thanks!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Kristin, how did a snake get in your bathroom? This I gotta hear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz