Girls Write Out
Monday, August 06, 2007

RECOGNIZE ANYONE?
Some days are just too much fun. On Saturday morning I visited my Amish friends in LaGrange. There is such peace in their home, and they are the sweetest people. They fed me chocolate chip brownies and spearmint tea from their garden (Sarah knows how much I love it!)

After that visit with them, we met our buddies the Hunts for Diann and I to do a booksigning in Shipshewana. It was like seeing Di after a separation of several months--we squealed and hugged for about two years. Oh wait, it WAS a separation of several months! She's been in quarantine. But let me tell you, she looked GOOD. And we were talking and laughing so much at the signing, we actually sold some books. LOL

I know what you're asking--did we go sign books dressed like this. Er no. I know you all think I'm the outgoing one, the one who would get up on stage in a moment and speak. But let me tell you that this whole dress-up gig was DI'S idea. I was just peacefully minding my own business walking through Ship after a buggy ride when we stopped to see a sign for Photo Designs by Sarah. The poster showed a set of pictures before converting to Amish and after. Before I knew it, Di was dragging me into the shop. AND OUR HUSBANDS WERE FINE WITH IT! I'm not sure what that says about them. LOL But it was a TON of fun! Sarah put this wig protector things on our heads that made us look like quail (I've got a blackmail pic of Dave before the wig went on) and the clothes were oh-so-comfortable! Being Amish is sounding better and better. LOL Anyway I highly recommend the shop if you get up to Ship. My husband is the tall one in the picture with the flowing beard. LOL Jim and Diann are on our left. Did you realize it was us before you got to this point? LOL

One thing I noticed in my day as Plain was just how simple and happy life can be without worrying about all the garbage we immerse ourselves in. Even our buggy ride opened my eyes. With the windows out, we smiled and waved and talked to passersby. We weren't encapsulated in our car, separated from the people we passed. There was such a community feel. My Plain friends are all about putting other people first and their children reflect that too. Now if the bishop would just give me a dispensation for my computer. . . LOL
Rachel (AKA Colleen)
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:39 AM  
  Comments (20)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
20 Comments:
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh my goodness, we had so much fun!!!

We decided C's husband was a natural at this. Totally looked Amish. And by the way, I've seen her blackmail picture of him. She could get BIG bucks.

Colleen is right about the community feel of it all. But until I get over hot flashes, I'm sticking with air conditioning. *g*

Rebecca, aka, Diann

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Katy McKenna said...

OK, ladies, there's got to be a dispensation for AC, right? At OUR ages???? I am jealous of this Plain day. We have an Amish community 2.5 hours from KC (Jamesport, MO). We go there and visit the shops on the farms, but we don't actually KNOW any of the Amish on a friendship level. I would love to, though. And I want to ride in the buggy, especially if it passes any spots in the road where I can pick up a wifi signal....The four of you look irresistable!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Winter Peck said...

My folks just found out that they will be having Amish neighbors, if they don't already. Just a hop skip and a field away.

I LOVE their homemade foods. I'm hoping my dad's extrovert nature will get him in the goods, 'cause I'd sure love to get my hands on some of their jams and preserves.

You and Di look cute, Colleen.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Hey Winter! Amish neighbors will be great. They're always willing to help other people. I just love my friends in LaGrange. Where do your parents live?

Katy, you could always get a battery operated fan. LOL

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

You're all ADORABLE.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Adorable, Julie? LOL Think we should convert? :-)

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

I'm so glad you and Di got to play...been praying for her! And you look wonderful in your picture...plain works for you gals!!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Colleen's right, Di looks wonderful. Is your hair longer, girlfriend?

Colleen, you looked adorable Plain.

The guys? Well ... uh ... hairy. LOL

But I recognized you all right away! And cracked up. :o)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

And here I thought it would throw most of you and you wouldn't recognize us. LOL

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Winter Peck said...

Colleen,

My parents live in SE Iowa. There are a few Amish towns near them. As a farmer and carpenter, my dad interacts with them on a monthly basis.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh interesting, Winter! I think some of the Indiana Amish went to Iowa.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

The first picture didn't load as fast so I only got to see the second one before I guessed. I knew it was you, C, but I admit the husbands and Diann threw me. LOL. I went back and looked and could see them right away, but at first I thought it was just you with your Amish friends. LOL.

P.S. Diann does look great. Glad you're out and about!

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

(Rachel and Rebecca )
You had me fooled.
I was like,
oh,Must be their friends, how did they get them to take a picture?
I did not think The Amish took picture's. LOL.
You all looked very cute. :)
Glad to see you Diann and that your out having fun again. :)
Hug's!!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Girls, I can't believe you recognized me right off. Sheesh, I'm disappointed. LOL

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Thanks for the encouragement! It was great to be out and about again!

One thing I learned about the Amish experience is there's something to be said about wearing a bonnet. You don't have to worry if you're having a bad hair day. *g*

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Well I was fooled at first! My very first thought was how did you get them to let you take their picture? Then I caught on.

Did you stay for the flea market on Tues? Of course, it is raining here today. Maybe not such a good day.

All of my neighbors are Amish. There are parts of their world I wish were in mine. Like the slowness of pace, taking time to visit with friends and family. But I like my electric world! They do use generators for somethings but AC is important on these miserable days. They have beautiful gardens! I like to walk down my road just to see how their gardens grow. Their horses are another fun thing! We have a horse farm across the street from us. I love watching the horses graze in the pasture. We visit with them. Kind of like having a pet without the work!

One last thing an Amish school is on the other side of us. We can hear the kids singing each morning during the fall. They also have several breaks in their day. There has to be something to their exercise! Our schools could use this idea.

Sorry my post is so long! This was right up my alley so to speak.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh Andrea, I should have posted something on the blog a few days before we went and maybe you could have popped over to the bookstore to say hello!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I recognized y'all right off! LOl Glad Di's outta quarantine. And uh, Di, did you get blackmail photos of C?

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Don't answer that, Di!

Robin, shame on you. How could want to blackmail little ole me? LOL

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger sarah said...

It was so much fun having you all in my studio, you were so cool! Sarah (photo designs by Sarah)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz