Girls Write Out
Sunday, July 22, 2007

WORDS
Words are super important to a writer. On Saturday I realized just how much I delight in them. I went to the Midwest Geobash. This is supposed to be the largest mega-event for geocaching in the WORLD. And it's right here in little ole Indiana. It was a fabulous day! I met Donna and Gary Scrambling. Gary is the president of MIGO, the Michigan Geocaching group. They did a ton of work putting together a geocaching series in Michigan that everyone has been raving about. Super fun people!

Anyway, on to the words thing. Geocachers have a language all their own, and I was just fascinated. Dave and I have gone geocaching a few times but always by ourselves. This was our first time being around experts. It was like attending a Star Trek convention only the language was all about caching. We heard things like muggle, (a non geocacher--taken from the Harry Potter books) travel bug, (an item that has a destination and people help by taking it to another cache closer to the destination) FTF, (First to find, something to be desired because you get first pick of the items in the cache) and reviewer (but not of books. LOL Of caches before they're logged on the site.) I'd heard of some of these words but never heard them in real conversation before Saturday.

But my favorite word this weekend was SWAG. It was the first time I'd heard the word. It refers to all the things in the cache that can be taken and something else left in its place. Where did it come from? No one seemed to know. But I liked the word a lot. It was mysterious and interesting. Curtain tie-backs? LOL Nothing like that at all.

The cachers came from all walks of life from middle class folks like me and Dave to doctors, lawyers and other professional people. And they were all mingling and sharing stories. And wearing this year's "bird" emblem, a duck. Some wore duck hats and decorated their tents with ducks. Lots were wearing beads (I never figured out this mysterious phenomena but I got a lanyard made of beads from a sweet lady that I later found out was a professor. And here she was happily stringing beads together. Everyone was swapping geocoins, and I got a coveted lackey coin from one of the Groundspeak folks. Everyone was jealous! I gave all four of the Groundspeak lackeys a copy of Abomination. Some of them had already heard of it. And everyone I talked to was thrilled there was a book out with a geocaching theme. And I got interviewed by podcacher.com! Sonnie and Sandy were really fun! So it was a very fun day.

I loved it! And came away with some great ideas for more books. LOL As well as fabulous words to roll off my tongue. So what's the best new word you've heard recently?
Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:31 AM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Kay Day said...

geocaching seems like an interesting word. I just heard it today for the first time.

that is my way of asking what in the world are you talking about? :)

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I'm laughing, Kay. Geocaching is a sport where outdoor enthusiasts use GPS units to find "caches" other enthusiasts have hidden. There are all kinds of fun things in them. My new book, Abomination, has a geocaching theme.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Nan W said...

How fun, Colleen!

I had no idea this event was going on and we missed it! This summer has been hectic (Our son is completing his Eagle Scout rank requirements) Our family has geocached for years, sometimes taking our scout troop for outings. A travel bug that we placed in WV during the "Rally for America" in 2003 has been all over the country since then. :)

There's a great Tshirt on cafepress that says "I use billion-dollar satellites to find tupperware in the woods. What's your hobby?"

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Rel said...

Well, I may not know what geocaching is but I certainly know Swag!! At least in Australia, a swagman was a wanderer who went from job to job especially during the Great Depression in the '30's. His swag was a sack or pack he carried on his back with all his belongings!!! Sounds like there might be a bit of link :)

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Another geocacher in our midst? I can't believe it, Nan! How cool is that??? And I love the T-shirt!

Rel, how interesting about the swag. I wondered where it had come from. Thanks for that info!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I learned about SWAG from Ugly Betty! LOL! I think it stands for Something We All Get--or something like that. Basically, it's free stuff or giveaways. I could be wrong though. That was my impression when they discussed it on the show. Hehe, the things you learn from TV.

C, your books are always educational because you take your readers on out-of-the-ordinary adventures. That's what sets your books apart. Can't wait to read this one!

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Something we all get. What a great meaning behind the word. LOL I love it. Thanks, Lisa!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Teen Daughter and her friends are quite fluent in what they call, gibberish. Yes, it's a real language. I'm thinking of having her read this post so she can translate, lol (kidding. sort of :)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Nan W said...

Colleen, this has got me worried!

I haven't picked up Abomination yet, but can you give me a spoiler about if geocachers have horrible things happen to them in the woods?

:::::shivers in fright:::::

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

LOL Nan! The most horrible thing that happen to geocachers is that they discover a few dead bodies as the cache. LOL

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Best new word:
ginormous

Loved it in the movie Elf

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Interesting how two of those words are also used in the knitting world. Muggle (a non-knitter) and swag. Both used the same way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz