Girls Write Out
Thursday, July 19, 2007

Ah...Nature

What is the deal with people treating their pets better than their kids? I know that we're cracked here in California anyway, but I'm reading about doggy spas, and doggy bakeries with freshly-made muffins...yesterday I read in Rachel Ray's magazine that a woman makes her dog a fruit smoothie each morning because the yogurt is good for his digestive system. Honey, if you have time to make your dog a fruit smoothie, you need a job. And a life. Dogs are going to love you no matter what, at least that was my experience growing up when my brother put clothespins on our black lab's ears. Yep, still loved us. (And don't write me, I am not advocating dog torture!) Yes, even if you're trying to feed your dog a foul, yogurt smoothie for breakfast instead of meat, they're still going to love you. Your carpet may not fare so well, but that's another story.


So the animal thing is another of San Francisco's "pet" projects. I have to admit, it's so entertaining when people with causes find them clashing. Right now, San Francisco has a coyote problem. Coyotes are the mangiest things. I just saw one on my walk, not ten feet from me and dang, they're scruffy and pointy looking and blech! Anyhoo, coyotes eat small pets. So if you're an animal lover AND a pet lover, what are you to do about coyotes in San Francisco? You can't harm the environment by thinning out the coyotes, but what about when Sruffy has to go? Is Scruffy safe? See, the thing SF doesn't seem to get, is there is a food chain, say it with me now, FOOD CHAIN and weeding out excess coyotes is why God gave Adam rule over the animals. Relocating them (they would never kill them) is SO politically incorrect, but it's smart land management. Ditto for mountain lions who need 100 square miles of territory. Beautiful animals...but they don't belong in the city.

Contrary to what many Californians think, we people DO have the right to exist. Speaking of which, someone did the math on what might happen if humans DID cease to exist and the earth wouldn't be taken over by cockroaches and rats like previously thought. They actually need us humans. Go figure. Fish don't fair well either. But birds, they take over! Alfred Hitchcock had it right, apparently. Really, if it's a confusing issue, I think we should assign that all San Franciscans watch "The Lion King" and see what happens when the hyenas take over. Just a suggestion.

Sorry, I'm in a sarcastic mood, and I know my rash of info is highly boring, but I'm saving the good stuff for Trophy Wives II. LOL. My mood ring is black. I got cut off today at the car wash by a perfectly clean Prius. I wanted to ask her if she knew the carbon footprint of rewashing a clean car, but I refrained.
Kristin  
posted at 11:06 AM  
  Comments (16)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
16 Comments:
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Marla Taviano said...

Too funny! Highly un-boring even. I live in OH which is no CA but the people here in our fine state capital do treat their dogs obscenely well.

My husband can't stand the toy dogs riding behind bikes in those cart things made for CHILDREN. Or when we take our girls to Dairy Queen and people are buying ice cream sundaes with bones stuck in them for their $10,000 dogs.

Wow--that turned into a long comment. Love your stuff, Kristin!

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I've wondered about the phenomenon with the dogs myself. Now my daughter isn't silly about it. She takes very good care of our Parker, no strollers for him. LOL But you do see that silliness, mostly with small dogs.

Oh and the purses they put the dogs in! LOL Um, people, dogs need EXERCISE. Just like we do. I'm one to talk. LOL

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

You should so move to TX. No one would dare tell one of our Good Ol' Boys it's not PC to just just shoot the darn things.

Cause, you know, those Good Ol' TX Cowboys are packn' and we just let them do whatever they like.

If a few animals get harmed in the process, well this is TX. :o)

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

Okay, I have to clarify, I did mean shoot the Coyotes NOT the dogs.

We're not completely nuts down here. :o)

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Oh, why did you refrain. Ask her, ask her! "What is your carbon footprint..."

Rachel :)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Kristin,

You make me laugh. And that's a good thing!


Kellie

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Too funny. We were in Northern CA last week in a town that welcomes dogs into hotels, downtown, etc. We stopped at a park and a couple of women were running their dogs off their leashes, even when a sign clearly said "No Dogs." Suddenly one of the gals screams bloody you know what because her dog runs out into the street, in front of a car, to chase some deer. Even the dogs get the food chain concept...

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I live in Kansas City and it wasn't too long ago we had an article in the paper that basically said animals should be allowed everywhere but please don't inflict your children on others. There are some of the higher end stores around here that have special permanent water bowls and treats (which, I believe, they literally refer to as a doggie bar) for the precious pooches, but don't take a child, especially one that makes a noise. That would just be rude and un-mannerly. I am definitely from the school of "just shoot the coyotes" and while I don't hate dogs or anything, I have very little patience for people who seem to think animals are more important than people.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Maggie Brendan said...

Yes, the world has gone nuts about their pets. There needs to be some perspective--like they are not humans! LOL. I want to add that I love the new covers of your books. Really cool! Brenda

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Great insight girls, as always. I love to hear how crazy it is in the rest of the country too, and know we're not alone with our share of fruits and nuts.

I understand that pets bring a lot of joy and comfort to people, but wow, it's over the top. Have you seen Target's Pet Section? It glitters! LOL

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

My wife rescued a kitten from the middle of an intersection a few weeks ago. We have spent twice the budget of my film I am working on just to get it healthy. Tonight I believe it is going to die despite our efforts. Yeah, spas for animals are crazy and some people go overboard...but our little 'Tiger' is a cutie and it's a shame he probably won't make it through the night. (you did bring up animals...) I don't mean to bring anyone down, but my two boys are really attached to Tiger and they could use some prayers, because if Tiger goes, the next few days won't be easy for them.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Kristen, you crack me up! Since when is your "rash of info" boring?!

I am always highly amused and interested in your observations. It's great insight into what is going on in the USA for someone like me who has lived overseas (Turkey) for a long time (19 years). Hey, if I didn't read your blog, I wouldn't know about doggy spas, doggy bakeries, doggy fruit smoothies, people wanting to save coyotes, "carbon footprints" (whatever that is?), dogs that cost $10,000, and water bowls and treats for dogs at higher end stores. LOL.

Practically every time I read the blog or the corresponding comments I feel like I'm learning something new about American culture. It's enlightening! Sometimes it makes me feel pleased and proud of the USA, sometimes not. Today's blog entry struck me as hilarious. Made me feel (once again!) like I must live in a different galaxy (which is how I usually feel when I visit the USA). While some people have pets here, the majority of dogs and cats one sees are feral, pretty mangy, and live on garbage or in the streets.

:0) Pam

P.S. Allen, sorry about Tiger. That has to be hard on your boys.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

Tiger woke up this morning and attcked Kristi with the playfulnessof, well, a kitten. He was refusing to take his medicine so I had put it in his food last night. He just might make it after all.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

Kristin, your post made me think of a car I once saw that had about seven bumper stickers on it. A few were PETA slogans and one was a pro-abortion slogan. Is it just me, or does that seem majorly ironic?

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Down in the south, us rednecks, cajuns, and hillbillies believe in animal population. Period. LOL

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I am so glad the kitten made it!! We have to keep praying because kittens are such little warm fuzzies for kids. But please, don't buy the kitten shoes, k?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz