Girls Write Out
Friday, June 01, 2007



You know, sometimes I wonder where my love for writing began. For me, I think it all started with Colorforms.

Now, some of you may not remember those—though in my search on the Net, I find they’re still available—but they’re vinyl pieces that stick against a glossy background, along the same principle as paper dolls.

I used to spend hours playing with those Colorforms, making up stories as I went along. Same thing was true of paper dolls. Truth be known, I probably learned my sense of fashion from those toys. Come to think of it, that explains a lot.

Childhood play is so much more than mere play. It’s a world of make believe. There may be fast cars, aliens or dragon-infested motes to cross, or it may be a world of fairies and princesses where knights-in-shining armor stand ready to free their damsel in distress. Who knew when I was having imaginary tea with my dolls that stories of women and friendships were beginning to take root?
One thing I love about writing? It allows me to be a kid again. To enjoy the wonder of story, a world created during my “play time.” When my husband comes home at the end of the day I say things like, “I was in Siesta Key today. Maggie got her hair done in cornrows and then the girls buried all but her head beneath the sand.” My husband gives me that knowing grin, pulls me into a warm embrace and tingles cover me from head to toe. I think it’s because he’s holding me, but my fingers feel for the notebook and pen in my pocket, just in case a story is forming . . . .

Speaking of story, don’t forget that Jane Orcutt’s fabulous new book, All the Tea in China, is now available! Check it out at Christianbook.com, Amazon.com, or Barnes & Noble.com!


Diann


Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:24 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 9:00 AM, Blogger T. Forkner said...

Great reflection. Your hubby is so sweet.

I'll check out Jane's book. I know many have been waiting for it.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Thanks, Tina! Hubby is good hero material (most of the time)! *g*

I got so excited writing about Colorforms, it made me want to get some. Of course, I'll use my granddaughters as an excuse for playing . . . .

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Oh I used to LOVE Colorforms. They aren't available anymore? I've lost touch since my kids are grown. LOL

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I loved Colorforms!! Let's see, today I'm going to the Golden Globes or the SAG awards with my heroine. : )

Jane, my dear Jane, I miss her so much!!!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

I didn't do colorforms, but I had a pretty active imagination.

I loved Jane's writing and I can't wait to read her new book. She is sorely missed!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I LOVED Colorforms!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I loved the colorforms, but paper dolls and my Miss Revlon dolls (forerunner to Barbie) were my favorites. My mom had a table (which I inherited) that had two tiers on it. It was my dolls' NY apartment. I was too ADHD (that was way before they even had a diagnosis for it) to sit and write, :o) but I could spend an entire week playing out one story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz