Girls Write Out
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

There are times when it's okay to daydream and times when it's, well, not. I learned the lesson the hard way yesterday at 2 pm when an oncoming migraine sent me to the medicine cabinet for an Exederin for Migraine.


Somewhere between the couch and the cabinet, though, my mind wandered. I took two pills then went to practice on my drums. Half an hour later, I was beating away on the snare when I became aware that the room was spinning. Either that or I had turned into a bobble head.


Immediately, my mind flashes back to when I took the pills and, like a bad horror film, I watch the scene unfold and see myself withdrawing a bottle of pills from the cabinet. Unfortunately, it isn't the Exederine bottle I see in the film, but the Tylenol PM.


I did not do that, I think, putting my sticks down and running to the cabinet. I open the cabinet and reach for the bottle I knew I had removed earlier. Yes. I did it. Did I mention I haven't had a bite to eat all day? I read the back of the bottle and realize I shouldn't operate heavy machinery so I call Kevin and ask if he can pick up the kids. My head is floating like I've just, well, taken a sedative on an empty stomach. It's official. I have turned into Diann.


In the meantime, I figure I'd better stay busy if I'm to fight the "sleeping aid". I feel like I'm functioning underwater, but my frenzy to stay awake produces a batch of homemade cookies, a clean kitchen, and a full-blown migraine.


Sometime later I'm awakened by what I'm sure is a tornado striking the house. Turns out it's only my 8 year old with a garden hose. Hello, there's someone in here trying to slip into a coma.


Two looong baseball games later, it's ten o'clock, my migraine is raging, and the sedative is wearing off--just in time for bed. I take my migraine medicine (paying careful attention this time) and head to bed where I lay awake for an hour. Doesn't it just figure?




Denise Hunter  
posted at 6:52 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You should've called me and we could have commiserated. I had a bad migraine last night too. I was trying to watch the season finale of 24 and the constant blinking of the TV sent my head into spasms.

However, I didn't do the Tylenol PM thing. LOL! Which by the way, I HAVE to ask ... take migraine medicine for an oncoming migraine and then practice DRUMS? :)

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Good question, Jamida. The migraine was just coming on so it wasn't bad yet, and I wear headphones to dull the banging. LOL

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Eileen Key said...

Similar to my Bengay instead of toothpaste episode. However, my tongue didn't ache for hours.

Hope you're feeling better today.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger allen etter said...

That's how I felt two Sundays ago when you had to bail me out and cover on drums...spinning, spinning!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Oh, Eileen, yuck!!

Allen, at least I knew what was causing my spinning--it's a lot less scary that way. And filling in for you was fun. I learned that I can play a song "live" when I'd never even heard it before. :-)

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Mazzuca Maddness said...

No offense Denise, but isn't Tylenol PM blue and the other stuff white? Just wondering. I do think, though, having a migraine mess with the season finale of 24 AKA one of the best shows EVER is too too sad!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Yes, MazzukaI'mNotGonnaSpellYourWholeName LOL They look nothing alike, nothing at all. When I said I was in La La Land, I wasn't kidding.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Okay, this is something Di or Kristin would have done. I don't expect it out of our rational, sane Denise.

The constant contact with the other girls is wearing off on you. Stay away, I say, holding up my hands like a cross.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Mazzuca Maddness said...

Just call me Crystal. It's easier to spell than our last name and the country we live in in Africa (which most people think is made up anyways!)

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

LOL! Thanks for the laugh Denise! I've had my certain, er, unexpected challenges today and I needed that laugh! Bless you for pulling a "Diann"!

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I'm catching up on the blog reading, and just had to reply here. I've so done that take the wrong meds thing. Or I'd take my migraine daily med and then I couldn't remember whether or not I'd taken it yet. ROFL it's bad sometimes.

On the migraine thing. . .I believe I posted on a migraine thread of yours months ago that I was doing the invisalign braces in hopes that the migraines would decrease. I'm on my last set of trays, haven't taken my daily meds since May 14th . . . and have had 2 headaches -- nothing bad, little could take care of it with Advil and caffiene ones. I may have to become the spokeswoman for checking out your bite if you have migraines.

WHOOOHOOOO .. . praise God, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz