Girls Write Out
Tuesday, May 08, 2007
The one thing I love best, next to wearing new Donald Pliners -- and oh yeah, my kids, the next thing I love best, is being with other writers. Nowhere is there a community that needs to commune like writers. We live a solitary life. We're weird to start with, and we only get weirder. Then, the more published we get, the more solitary it becomes as friends are afraid to talk to us. And we get weirder still!

Yet being writers, and consummate assessors of our fellow man, we only notice their weirdness -- and then, we get together with other writers and it confirms, yep, we're the normal ones.

So I went to the Act One screenwriting program this weekend. I learned two significant facts. One is that I don't want to write screenplays. They use this three act thing, that I'm sorry, is just too stinkin' mathematical for my brain. The second thing I learned is that I didn't have enough respect for what a screenwriter does. To see a script (and thanks to Cheryl McKay, writer of the Ultimate Gift I have), but to see how one page can transmit into so much power with the collaborative effort is thoroughly amazing.

Did you know scripts for entire movies are only 120 pages? Movies move. And a screenplay writer directs the lighting people, the actors, the setting people, etc. from that mere 120 pages? What the heck? That's amazing. They also work together, so I think they must get less weird. That would be an interesting study. Does weirdness multiply working with each other each day -- like strange squared? Or do they normalize one another. I'm guessing the former.

My favorite part of the weekend was hearing what utter snobs the writers were about other movies and television shows. It's exactly how I am about books and it's so funny to see your obnoxious side in someone else. It's like, they get it. They totally get it! Love that.

One thing that was really affirming is when they talked about dialog they brought out a movie from the 40's. I grew up on the old movies and that's why my dialog is so fast. I learned to speak from Cary Grant. Hmmm. With that, the argument could indeed be made my loneliness has done nothing for my sense of normalcy.

www.kristinbillerbeck.com
www.girlswriteout.blogspot.com
"Split Ends" April 2007 Thomas Nelson Publishers
"Trophy Wives Club" Fall 2007 -- Avon Inspire
Kristin  
posted at 10:01 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

I won't even talk about my jealousy issues over the fact you get to see other writers on a quasi-regular basis. I'm the only "normal," or is it wierdo, suffering out here right now. :)

Although, I have to admit it was awesome seeing Colleen and Camy in March. Usually I have to get my fix in at conference. No one gets a writer like another writer.

Colleen, can I officially motion the ACFW conference get moved out here? At least then I might have a chance to see people more often when the board comes to town for meetings. :)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Malia, I don't think you'd have any trouble getting people to WANT to come to you. LOL I cant' believe how far the trip to Hawaii is, even from California! Though worth every effort to get there. : ) That's why the internet is so great though, it brings us weirdos together. : )

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

I'm with you there, Kristin. It's a LONG flight leaving/coming here. A couple of trips does rack up the frequent flyer miles nicely though. LOL

I love the internet, I don't know what I'd do without it or my laptop (graduation gift). Definitely my communication with the outside world. :)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Deena Peterson said...

Kristin, I read "Split Ends" and have posted my review...I'd be honored if you'd read it and leave a comment...

http://deenasbooks.blogspot.com/2007/05/split-ends-by-kristin-billerbeck.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz