Girls Write Out
Thursday, February 08, 2007


I haven’t been cold since 1999. Until now.

Okay, you have to understand that I am totally illiterate when it comes to running things in our home. I don’t know, but I think when they passed out the technology gene, I was at the coffee shop. Anyway, somehow I missed it. Now, my husband, on the other hand, has the Midas touch when it comes to technology. If he so much as sneezes, the surround sound comes on. Shoot, if he claps his hands, he could light up the neighborhood. He’s just that kind of guy. I can’t run the stereo, the TV, the DVD player or the VCR. Forget the telephone, the cell phone, the lights. And the furnace? No clue.

He installed a new thermostat. One that he programs. Uh-huh. He set it to 62 at night, which is fine, we have lots of warm blankets. But yesterday, he leaves for work and about an hour into my morning, I realize I’m cold. Now you have to understand something here. These days, I’m NEVER cold. I stand in a snow bank and it melts. So when I’m cold, there’s something severely wrong. As in, call 911.

So, I wrap my blanket around me, grab my coffee mug and slug my way over to the thermostat to investigate. You got it. It’s still programmed at 62.

My husband teaches in the mornings, and I can’t reach him by phone. I figure I could be an ice sculpture by lunch.

It’s in these moments, I grope for a bit of creativity. Unfortunately, that part of my brain is frozen. Nothing is coming to me. In fact, I’m still standing in front of the thermostat and my feet won’t move. Doggone it, I wish I’d brought some chocolate.

While I ponder my predicament, he calls me about another matter, and I’m able to find out how to turn up the temperature and all is well. He tries to tell me it’s because our furnace repair guy wiped out the programming. But you know what I think? I think he’s getting back at me for freezing him out during my hot flashes. You suspense writers out there, if you hear that I’ve frozen to death, look into it, will you?
As for the rest of you, I hope you're staying warm.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:27 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Katy!! I can so see myself doing that one day. You know, after watching that station all those months, your mom is probably bilingual now.

Oooo, stay warm, Denise! Want some hot coffee? *g*

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Sixty-two? If our house temp goes down to 68, I put the heat on 73 and AM still cold.

Guess it's all relative.

;) Rachel

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

I actually prefer these temps over the heat of last summer...I'm normally the techno whiz in the family...except for when it comes to the universal remote. I can fix VCR's, DVD players, install electrical devices and cieling fans...but I have to turn the universal remote over to my wife when it needs to be reprogrammed...odd.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Christy said...

Put on some socks! lol

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh my goodness, that's HILARIOUS, Christy!!!! They're so gorgeous I hate to wear them!! *g*

I'm going to share more about that next week!!!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

You have to watch this Denise:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wplyCogv3to

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I am SO not comfortable. In an attempt to cut back on heating bills, we have lowered the thermostat. Thankfully, it's NOT a programmed one.

So I'm at my desk, dressed in layers. Soon I'm having a hot flash, so I peel one layer off. In five minutes, I'm down to my tank top. Twenty minutes later, I'm freezing, so I put my long-sleeved "T" back on. Then the sweater. Thirty minutes later, I'm hot again. Are you seeing a pattern here?

I haven't written a consistent chapter since this cold snap hit. My poor characters don't know where I'm going to send them - the beach or skiing.

Sheesh. When is Spring arriving?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Katy, your mom being happy watching TV in Spanish is up there with my grandpa watching everything on mute. I can't understand it.

A couple years ago I always stayed with a friend whose family kept it on 60 or below ALL THE TIME. I thought I was going to die. I'm always cold, anyway, but that's ridiculous.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

no offense, but it's negative 7 below fahrenheit here in WI so even a 62 degree house sounds warm! :) :)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I hear ya, Ane! Once I was in bed with a fan aimed at my face and the covers over the rest of me. My husband goes, "Are you cold or hot?" I answered, "I don't know."

Today I had my first HOT coffee (in years!) at the coffee shop. It was just too cold to have an iced drink. But after I got the hot drink, I wish I had ice. So I can relate, Sassy. *g*

No offense taken, Jaime! It's cold outside here too!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

He would be so dead in my house. Dave knows not to mess with the thermostat! LOL I have to be warm or the whole world is in trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz