Girls Write Out
Monday, August 28, 2006

You can dress me up, but...
So my girlfriend invited me to her country club for lunch. "No denim is the only rule." No denim? No denim? Are you kidding me? Is there a world without jeans? And do I want to be a part of it? I mean, I wore jeans to the "Today Show" -- and even out of jeans, I'm still Kristin, is that really safe to bring me to your country club? I am a writer, we're supposed to be eccentric.

But I love my friend. She's one of the few who visited me in the desert, washed my double stroller back when I was sick with two babies. Her husband brings me handbags from China. For her, I will wear slacks.

The country club is to-die-for gorgeous and it doesn't feel stuffy or cold, just elegant. There are three of us. We knew each other when our children were babies and here we sit, looking out over the San Francisco Bay, in a country club, ordering Diet Cokes together. (never mind, Colleen!) Who would have ever known that these stressed-out Mommies would turn into "Ladies who Lunch" after the storms. We're all still standing. That says something.

I can't help but see the humor in the fact that my jeans cost $154 and my slacks today were $37.50. No denim. Who is offended by such things? My friend asked me to do it again, but I told her, "What do you want from me? I already wore my pants!" I'm back in my hovel, in my jeans. And if she ever asks me again for such a lovely lunch, I will be on my best behavior. In borrowed clothes.

www.kristinbillerbeck.com
Anonymous  
posted at 3:44 PM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

Oh, Kristin. I feel your pain. I LOVE my jeans. I think denim is the most versatile fabric on the planet.

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you poor thing! you'd think they would allow dressy denim. but i spose you can't really say ok one pair of jeans is ok and another isn't... i love my jeans, but i need new ones, all mine are mens ones and they are really comfy, but definitely not a fashion statement!!!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

I've actually had really weird we-have-arrived moments like that with a good friend. Our oldest babies are teens already, and we became buddies while huddled at the playground, wiping sand out of our toddlers' mouths. Although we're still often in taxi driver mode, we can steal away for a quick spa or lunch now more than we ever could. Too fun--although having to wear "slacks" (what a strange word!)--would kinda take the fun out of it. I hope you at least wore a pair of velvet flip flops or something--lol! (I seriously have a pair.)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Watch the Mrs. Cunningham remarks! My mother was totally Mrs. Cunninghamesque. LOL

I rebelled and adore my jeans. Still do. I even wear 'em to church sometimes. Now I want a denim sofa. That's class!

I tried to buy an expensive pair of jeans - they didn't fit. Only the $40 jeans fit me.

Oy vey - I'm deprived (no that's NOT depraved). But then again ... I splurged on a designer handbag. :o) Is that depraved?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz