Girls Write Out
Tuesday, July 11, 2006

WESTWARD HO!

I’ve been told every family should do it at least once, and since our boys are of an age to remember it, we’re headed out West. We’ve allocated three weeks to see the sights. It seemed like a wonderful idea at its conception.

What I didn’t take into account is the workload of such an expedition. Because now that I’ve been planning for weeks--visiting numerous websites, making calls, reading books, mapping routes, washing clothes, packing everything but my wilting plants--I realize that I need a vacation. A vacation from vacation preparation.

I figure I’ve spent more than three weeks planning for our three week vacation. Hmmm, something’s wrong with this picture. Not to mention the writing schedule I’ve had to keep to allow for three weeks away right before my deadline.

And in the secret recesses of my mind, I’m wondering how three weeks in the car with three boys is going to play out. I’m afraid after our 50th Are-we-there-yet, our 20th He’s-touching-me, and our 17th I’ve-gotta-go-to the-bathroom (that would be me), I might just snap.

All I can say is, they better have Starbucks out there to keep me caffeinated. And a little chocolate wouldn’t hurt either.
Anonymous  
posted at 3:29 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

"Americans are the only people in the world who are ill-clothed, ill-housed, and ill-fed for two weeks and call it a vacation."

I think Herbert Hoover said that. Or some other figure from yesteryear.

Have a great vacation, Denise.

And let us hear from you on the road.

I need my daily fix of Girls Write Out!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

You know, Denise, you could top it off by watching (as a family) Chevy Chase's "Vacation." Though I'm thinking you'd opt to stay at home next year. ;-)

Have a great time--and make lots of fun memories!!!

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denise, if your travel West brings you through Southern Idaho, please stop and have a Starbucks with me.

Robin

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well I'm a little biased since I've lived in California and now Arizona my whole life, but I love the West.

Hope you have a great trip, though I totally know what you mean by the preparations. And, oh, the laundry when you get back!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Denise, when I was 9, we took a 3 week vacation from California to New York. That was back in 1956 - no air conditioning in cars, no video games, but we had a wonderful time. One thing my folks did was to stop around 3:00 P.M. each afternoon at a motel with a pool so my brother and I could swim.

I'm nearly 60 and I still remember that vacation in clear detail. May your memories be as sweet.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived in both the east and the west and I LOVE the west. :) I hope you have a wonderful trip and get to see the tumbleweed roll down a dusty street somewhere on your travels. I'm in Oregon by the way. Have fun!
Oh and to make your trip sound a little easier: try planning a trip for a family of eight lol. It definitely takes some work. :)

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Drink a Jamba Juice for me. I went to one in January when I visited California just because Kristin has talked about them in her books, and that hooked me on smoothies. Since returning home I've found a couple good ones around here, but NOTHING like a Jamba Juice. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz