Girls Write Out
Wednesday, July 05, 2006

We’re vacationing in the Rockies this week. We’ve attended a concert beneath twinkling stars and majestic mountains. We’ve watched elk stop traffic as they meandered to a patch of grass in front of a gas station to nibble a while. Last night we looked on as fireworks exploded above grandiose mountains that poked through the night sky. It’s been great.

Vacationing is wonderful. You get to meet new people, and dress in ways you never would back home. I mean, hey, these people will never see you again, right?

Case in point. We went hiking yesterday. Now, my man is big on following the guidelines (I know, kind of hard to imagine why he married me, huh?). Okay, he knows we’re going to be in the Rockies so he reads up on what’s needed to hike trails then he makes his little trip to the store. He comes home with hiking shoes—SERIOUS hiking shoes, as in they take up half my suitcase—water bottles and walking canes. Okay, the fact is I need someone like him. I’d probably try to hike in sandals.

But can I just say my outfits weren’t meant to be worn with hiking boots the size of California redwoods (same color, too). Still, when he looked at me with eager eyes, walking canes in hand, I knew I had to yield.

So despite the fact I have on cute little khaki capris and a dainty top, I shrug on white socks (I didn’t pull them up to knee high, okay?), and hiking boots. I can’t begin to express the power I felt once I stood in those puppies. Godzilla comes to mind.

But they worked. Our hike was a huge success (course, I stamped out tiny rodents along the path, but don’t tell the park rangers, okay?)

All that to say, vacation is for having fun. I’ve chosen to ignore what other people might think of me and just plain enjoy myself.

We passed a store yesterday with Indiana Jones type hats. He wants to go back. I’m not quite there yet. But maybe if I can find a red one . . . .






Diann Hunt  
posted at 10:17 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh get the hat, you know you want to!

hehe!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

ROFLOL! What a hoot, Diann! Loved this post!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

What an image I get of those boots - and with the hat? ROFLOL!!!

I hate hiking boots. They weigh so much and feel so clumsy. I noticed the photo doesn't show your feet under that table. Got your boots off under there?

And where's the spa on that trail?

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Hilarious, Ane! You noticed that I did NOT show my feet under the table! LOL!!! No way did I want that in print for future generations to find one day and say, "Oh man, Great Grandma was a geek." LOL!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Are you eating "Taco Bell" on your hiking adventure??? LOL.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful vacation. :) I agree...go get the hat. ;)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Sabrina, Taco Bell is a must no matter where I travel! LOL

Sorry, Bethanie and Audra, I didn't get the hat. I was afraid our kids would disown me. ;-)

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter has an Indiana Jones hat just like her dad. They look so cute together! And I am so envious of your little getaway. What a wonderful great and a great significant other. You are blessed.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Ooh! What a great mental picture. Can see why your books bring such a vivid image to mind when reading. Great job on this one.

Now, if only *I* could get back to CO. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz