Girls Write Out
Wednesday, July 12, 2006

MY HEROINES
Editors are the unsung heroes and heroines of the publishing world. The picture is me in the middle with Erin Healy on the left and Ami McConnell on the right. This is the team that produces the Colleen Coble romantic mystery books. It's not just me--anything you like about my books I owe to them. My books would not be the same without them.

I'm at my favorite part of the writing process--revisions. I just got my "Erin Letter" and my "Ami Letter" will be along shortly. While some might get a sinking feeling when they see that attachment arrive in the email box, my heart leaps for joy. Okay, some people say I need medication, but I'm not the only one who feels this way. I stand in pretty good company. Stephen King in On Writing says editing is his favorite part of the process (and he too likes it all too).

I don't know why people are surprised at how enjoyable the revision process is--everything is more fun with someone to share it. When my editors actually enter into the story and interract with it, fun things happen. What's the thrill of going on a roller coaster by yourself? Or with eating DeBrand truffles alone? It's the same with with writing. Sharing the journey is way more fun than staying cooped up in the story by myself. That's why hearing from readers is so wonderful too--it's another way of sharing our lives. And it's validation that just maybe all those months of working on a project weren't wasted.

So if you hear a shriek of joy at the end of the week, you'll know my "Ami Letter" has arrived. Please don't send me Prozac. I want to stay in my own little bubble of joy. You might try taking it yourself and joining me in my delusion.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:02 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

I just love your enthusiasm, Colleen. You are a delight.

I, too, am going through the editing for a Heartsong Presents novel due out in April, 2007, entitled Heart of the Matter. The changes I'm making at the request of the new HP editor will make my novel better. I'm thankful for her!

Thanks for a great post.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Good to see you this week! Great pic, too.

I do love revisions, though I'm not as excited at first as you are. :) I have to get my mind wrapped around it, THEN, I'm excited.

I love the input and ideas on how to make the story better.

Don't we have great jobs!

Love and hugs, Rachel

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

I bit my lip thinking about the revision comments on my first book. But actually, they really helped, and I like Chocolate Beach even more than when I first wrote it. Still, I saved my "shriek of joy" for the moment I finished :-)

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not gotten that far yet. I'm still working on the first draft, but looking forward to the experience. :)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

While I enjoy the first draft process, I love revisions more. That's where I really get creative, adding the layering that makes the work sing (or at least I try for that). The creation of the story is harder for me.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Hey Colleen I don't love edits but I don't mind them either. I enjoy the fact that if I have the edits I'll be holding a new book in my hands soon.

I do love you and your enthusiasm!!! Keep it coming! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opps, that signed me in under my blog sorry about that.

Also, I love that picture.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you love it so much, C, because your editors rock! May we all be blessed to have such awesome editors with brilliant foresight!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

oooh boy, you make me look forward to hearing what my editor has to say. If it makes the book better, it's worth it. The pain, I mean. :) Of course it might not be too painful. We'll see. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz