Girls Write Out
Friday, March 03, 2006

Last night a friend of mine from church told me she had a computer glitch and couldn’t get into her email. The computer is now in the shop. It reminded me of my own computer nightmare a few months ago.

I have a November 1 deadline, right? It is the first week of October and my laptop screen goes dark while I’m working. I try everything to fix it, nothing works. I take it into the place where I had purchased it, explain the problem. They tell me they have to send it back to the manufacturer. Okie-dokie. I have a spare laptop at home. My work in progress has been saved on my “key.” The company backs up everything too just in case I’ve missed something—of course, they charge me $89.00 to do so, but better safe than sorry.

I start working on the backup laptop. It works a few days, then it has some kind of short circuit, so that no matter what I do, it will only run on battery and I can’t recharge it. All righty then.

By now we’re well into the second week of October, and I’m getting nervous. I call to check on my first computer to see if it’s come back from the factory (since they knew it was a rush), and they tell me it hasn’t even been sent in yet!

Huston, we have a problem.

I take laptop number two into another repair place to get it fixed. In the meantime, I work on my desktop computer at home that is old and has its own set of problems.

Finally, laptop number one is shipped back to me. I open it, try it out, the screen starts up, all systems go—then it darks out—again. Okay, now I want to hurt somebody.

I take it back to the store and by now I know these guys so well, I could invite them to Thanksgiving dinner. I’ve been pleasant up to now, and still want to be, but how can I get across to them how desperate I am for a decent machine? Oh, did I mention this laptop that’s in for repair is less than a year old?

I go up to the young man, explain the situation, and he says he has to ship it back to the manufacturer yet again. I’m hoping they’ll give me a backup unit, but nothing doing. I finally lean into the counter and say through clenched teeth, “Look, could you tell the powers that be that I am a writer and I am on a deadline. I’m feeling a little crazy right now, and I’m thinking I could go postal.” The kid looks frightened for just a moment until he sees me laugh, but I see the teensiest bit of doubt in his eyes, and I’m okay with that.

Long story short, I finally get my computer back and it is fixed. I make deadline—barely, but I have the gray hairs to prove it.

Moral to this story? Buy three backup units. It just might keep you out of prison.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:43 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

SCARY. Um, of course, I'm talking about the computer situation...:-)

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

Somedays it takes everything I have not to throw this stupid thing out a window!
But then I wouldn't be able to get my blogging fix! So I am trapped battling the moody computer!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL! So true, Corina. Yes, Julie, it IS scary, the computer AND me! LOL Thanks for understanding, D, but I'm sorry you've been there too. Guess there's just no way to avoid computer glitches. If I wrote suspense, I'd probably have a wild woman go crazy after her computer crashed for the third time. Hey, Colleen, did you hear that? I have the perfect murderer for you . . . .

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My computer has just been sent off to repairs for the 3rd time. I tried to demand a refund since it is OBVIOUSLY faulty, and it is still under warranty, but no, the girl would not listen to me! I'm so frustrated. It's already been replaced once, and the same problem happened again. Can't they see that there is a fault here? Needless to say, I'm back using my roommate's computer till I get my laptop sorted out! Grrr!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I can so relate, Bethanie! It is sooooo frustrating!! I hope they figure out the problem with your machine and get it up and running soon! Good luck!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Di, You are a hoot!!!

Rhonda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz