Girls Write Out
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I’m committed—or I should be. Okay, I know what you’re picturing here. Men in white coats carrying me off to a place of isolation. Don’t give my husband any ideas, all right? It’s not that kind of committed. I’ve committed myself to a diet.

Even saying that word makes me hungry. Why is that? I mean, once I decide to diet, all I can think of is food. I go to the bank, and the teller has a cheeseburger head. Counter girl at the drycleaners? Twinkie. I can’t even tell you what writing this is doing to me. I may eat my computer before I’m finished.

It all happens innocently enough. I notice a lady in our church has lost some weight. She was pretty before she lost the weight, but now she’s gorgeous. Now just because I might lose weight does not guarantee I will look like her, anymore than I can have hair that looks like Jennifer Aniston’s just by wearing the same style (which of course is impossible since her hair is long and mine is, well, not). I won’t even go into the fact that I have hair follicles like Yul Brynner.

Anyway, she tells me she lost this weight by—are you ready for this--counting calories. Who knew?

Just listening to her motivational speech on dieting hooks me. I enthusiastically nod along with her, wanting desperately to sign on the dotted line. I tell her right then and there I am committed to do this diet thing. That’s when she drops the bomb.

She proceeds to tell me that she signed up at work. “The deal was we sign a statement saying how much we want to lose, then on Monday when we check our weight, if we’ve lost weight, we pay nothing. If we maintained the same weight as the week before, we pay $2. If we gain weight, we pay $5.” Her eyes grow wide and sparkly here, “Hey, you can pay me if you don’t stick to it,” she says as though she’s handed me the Gold Medal. By now I’m having visions of my life savings waving goodbye.

I hear myself gulp and I smile. “Okay,” I squeak and walk away.

Today was day one. My dog is starting to resemble barbecued chicken. My husband smells suspiciously like a Clark bar . . . .

But I will do this. Our retirement is at stake.

Diann Hunt  
posted at 10:40 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great! One thing I notice when I'm dieting is the sound of a soda can opening. I can hear it from a mile away! It's like music to my ears, makes my heart melt. And then the cravings start! I can't go a day without it. And no matter how many 0 point celery sticks you eat, it never cures the craving for chocolate!

Here's what I decided. I needed some extrinsic motivation. So I asked my husband to help me. I told him to take me on a vacation if I lost weight. I was thinking Hawaii. He was thinking- we have no money! What a bummer! Why does he always have to be the realistic one. He said that my intrinsic motivation was enough. Hello! If I had an ounce of intrinsic motivation my butt would have been off this couch and at the gym 20 pounds ago! But he's a guy (and an obsessively motivated one at that- he can drop twenty pounds just by thinking about it.

Good luck with your dieting. I think you should have made a deal that you get paid if you lose weight.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i lost about 8kg before christmas. i was so motivated. then christmas came, it was the holidays and i stopped going to the gym 5 nights a week. i STILL haven't gotten into the habit and i know i've put on at least 3 of those kilos back again. but they are showing an aussie version of The Biggest Loser on tv here now, it just started and it's starting to motivate me again. might go to the gym in the morning. but i might not too... i'll see. lol!!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

Must be something in the air, Diann! Yesterday was my D-Day too - the day I got on the scale and said "okay, something has GOT to be done!"

The first day is always easy for me - all those visions of a svelte figure and new clothes. It's Days 2-200 that are killers. Today being Day 2, would you please pray for me! And I'll do the same for you (although as I recall, last time I saw you you didn't look like you needed to lose one ounce!!)

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I would've kept you accountable. You had to go outside the family. . .how cruel. I could've used that $5 a week too. =)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I like the way you think, Jennifer! I should have asked for $ if I lose the weight, doggone it!

I know what you mean, Bethanie! It's hard!

Thank you, Deb! I'm there for you, girlfriend! I'll throw you a cyber candy bar when you're hungry if you'll do the same for me. :-)

Okay, Amber, what's with this five bucks thing? You think I won't lose the weight, is that it? I'll show you. Just you wait and see!!! (Doggone it, now I have to get rid of the Snickers bars tucked away in my lampshades.)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

LOL!! Welcome to my life of eating right (which means NOTHING I ever ate before), working out(another nothing I have ever done before) and having a love/hate relationship with the scale. Oh, and the craving of candies that never go away.
:-)
You know its bad when I can blog about all the mis-adventures and have to be held accountable by plastering my weight on line!! YIKES!
Good luck and you will have to keep us posted!!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Post my weight on line? I write fiction, remember. The truth about my weight will never find its way to this post. LOL!! I will, however, tell you if I lose anything and how much. :-) Course, if you hear nothing on the subject, it means I'm in debt up to my eyeballs.

Seriously, Corina, that's awesome that you're doing all that. I never realized how hard it was until I had to lose weight. I have a new appreciation for women who battle the bulge.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

LOL! I am SO with you, Diann. Rhonda Gibson and I are trying to lose weight in the next 6 weeks. She even made a blog for us and anyone who wants to join in:
http://anewdaybeginshere.blogspot.com/

I'm counting calories, too. Actually, everybody who reads my blog knows my calorie count because I am anal and obsessive enough to actually post it each day. Talk about committed--the other kind.

Camy

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

ROFLOL!!!

You are a hoot! And I'm amazed at how many of us decided to do this, this week. My darling husband has lost 30lbs by counting calories. So that's what I'm doing too, PLUS I'm watching those carbs. They eat me alive... HONESTLY, there's a skinny woman in me screaming to get out!!

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many of us have this in common, and I'm sooo getting tired of flirting with 200. This weekend I had to buy evening formal-wear for my husbands annual company thingy, and I had to shop in the WOMEN'S (and we know what that means!) department. If only I could give up the Reece's Peanut Butter Cups.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

When my jeans wouldn't fit comfortably, I knew it was time to take action. I've enlisted the help of a cyber pal to help me stay accountable. So far, it seems to be working. Five down, many more to go. :D

Best wishes to you, Diann. You can do it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz