Girls Write Out
Tuesday, February 07, 2006

COMPUTER GENIUS

I’m struggling to keep my head above water. Have I mentioned that I’m technologically-challenged? Oh, I can turn on my computer, pull up a word document, type, and turn it off.

My granddaughter was four when I was working on my story one day and an IM message popped up. It came from my daughter’s house and the message went something like this: “fldfdslfjfdsl.” I wrote back my granddaughter’s name since that was the only word she could read at the time. She wrote back “xclfkrem.” This went on for, oh, I don’t know, ten minutes. Just this bonding time through the exchange of, well, letters. Okay, I threw in a few smiley faces and hearts, but other than that, nada.

My granddaughter is now six. She can turn on her laptop, run the paint program, save it in files with nonsensical words (since she’s can’t spell a lot yet) like “flkfdslk” and “fewiroev.” Hey, whatever works.

Her mom found her in bed the other night with earphones in her ears, playing a computer game. She had no earphones for her computer. But her Leapster had them. She figured the little picture on her computer of the earplugs must mean she could plug them in there, so she did.

And then of course, she didn’t want to run out of batteries. Since the battery pack on the Leapster had a little yellow symbol where it was to go, she figured the same must be true of the computer. So she plugged it into the computer and presto, she was good to go for another two hours.

How do kids know these things? I mean, I didn’t even know I had a picture of earphones on my computer. Battery pack? No clue. Paint program? I had it for years and never used it.

Kids today know it all, I’m telling ya.

I have to come up with a newsletter soon. Guess I need a template and all that stuff, whatever that means. My granddaughter and I are going to discuss it over IM next week.

Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:56 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

That is so true!! Whenever I am stumped I ask my teenager.. He can sit down, do his "click here, click there" give me the "geesh mom what did you do?" and minutes later say.. "Ok, nooooow can I go to Steves house?" Me I just watch over his shoulder amazed and wondering how he knows these things.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can SO relate! My teenager can figure things out in a heartbeat, while I need 2 owners manuals, a DVD instruction, and lots of coffee! LOL

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

It's amazing, isn't it? And to think I started out on a, um, manuel typewriter.

I know, I know, but I'm not an AARP member yet. Just so you know.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

After she helps you, can you lend her to me? ;)

What a great treasure. And gorgeous hair.

Rachel

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Diann, don't despair, I am sure you're going to be her hip Grandma, someday! My Gram couldn't even drive.

Yep, I can hear her now, "Yeah, my Grandma is pretty cool. She has a laptop and a website...I designed it for her. LOL. She does have beautiful hair.

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

That's so CUTE! She'll be the next Bill Gates, right?
Camy

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger eileen said...

She needs to meet 3yr old Trevor who downloads his games to Nana's computer. Me mind? Not at all. He's too cute...and so ahead of the game. I'm tellin' ya, they have classes in that hospital nursery!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Sabrina, me? Hip grandma? I'm imagining me walking around with a hip replacement, but hip as in cool? I'm thinking no. I wear red hats, after all.

Oooh, Camy, the next Bill Gates? That would be kind of neat. She could totally take over my computer issues. What am I saying? She's doing that now! LOL

Eileen, aren't these kids amazing?! I think you're right, they are teaching things in the nursery!

Di

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Glenda Dykstra said...

I dunno, after all the time I have been spending on the computer and having a great son to teach me what I don't know, I am getting there. Of course the old saying "The computer is only as smart as the person running it" applies here, especially every time I lock it up because I forget to wait for it to do its thing. "rolling eyes" I started on a manual typewriter and never learned how to type. Since the advent of the computer though, I have learned a whole new language, "Typoese" ... Sigh.. Someday I will learn to type T H E instead of my favorite teh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz