Girls Write Out
Monday, January 02, 2006

Typically, a trip to the electronic superstore is not high on my list of favorite things to do. But I'd been begging for a TV in the bedroom because, as I have mentioned before, the 4 males in our house consistently tune the TV to one of the ESPN channels, while I sit, my eyes glazed over, my mind somewhere far, far away.

So we enter the store, and our eyes are immediately drawn to the sharp, crisp pictures from the flatscreens by the front door. How convenient that they put the really pretty ones up front. As it happens, this is the kind we need due to lack of space, so we choose a nice middle-of-the-road brand.

We work with a salesman who, by all accounts, seems pretty laid-back and good-natured, which is good because pushy sales people make me want to slap someone. When the
salesman mentions in passing that the pictures on their TVs are from a digital source and won’t be quite as crisp on our basic cable, I ask the question.

“What exactly will it look like?” Now, I’m not ultra-fussy about the picture, but I grew up with bunny ears (you young folk, ask your parents) and I’m not eager to go there again.

Like magic, the man flips a switch on the TV and the pretty tropical view turns as fuzzy as a cheap sweater. Oh.

I look at Kevin. “What now?”

The salesman gives us a moment to talk and Kevin says, “I don’t buy it.”

Don’t buy it? The guy flipped a switch, for heaven’s sake, what’s not to buy?

It’s then that I see the advertisements posted everywhere for digital cable service, and I’m getting a picture that’s clearer than ones on the LCD screens. Sheesh, can you trust anybody these days?

We decide to take our chances with the flatscreen and are handed off to salesman #2. This man, of course, wants to help us utilize this high tech TV by making sure we have that sharp, clear picture.

Digital Service for a year with a coupon for $100.00 off?

No thanks.

Installation for $249.00?

No thanks.

A remote control for $149.00? (Guaranteed to work on any electronic equipment in your home!)

No thanks.

Extended Warranty for three years in case our new TV is defective? Purchase the warranty and get 10% off the deluxe remote and 15% off installation!! (Didn’t manufacturers used to stand behind their products for free?)

No thanks.

We leave with exactly what we came for– and I have a feeling not many can say that—although we have picked up a used car lot stench and an irritated smirk from Salesman #2.

An hour later Kevin has the TV installed on the wall, and it’s operating just fine with the free remote that came with the set. Not surprisingly, the picture, while not as slick as the models in the store, doesn’t look anything like fuzzy version the salesman showed us.

I got my bedroom TV, though I may have lost a little innocence along the way. But considering the way many businesses operate these days, maybe that’s not such a bad thing.
Anonymous  
posted at 8:10 AM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

GOod for you, Denise, for not giving into the "pressures" of sales clerks. I always, always try to remember, those clerks normally make the bulk of their salary on commission, so I try to be understanding.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I'm with you on that stuff, Denise. It's so frustrating to deal with salespeople. Mainly because I never know what to believe and what not to believe. I'm such a sucker. They practically salivate when I walk into the store.

I'll take you with me the next time I go buy a TV, okay?

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Good for Kevin. I would have bought the fuzzy line hook line and sinker.

Rachel

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOLOLOL.....I normally smile at the salesperson, then go ahead and and excuse myself, buying what I want. LOL

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Dang, I can't believe that salesman! Lying, cheating...

Of course, my husband despairs of my buying skills. I will walk into a store, point and say, "I want that one." No haggling, no browsing, no looking for a better deal at another store clear across town. Economy of movement, I say. :)

Camy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz