Girls Write Out
Friday, January 20, 2006

Panic hit me this morning as I realized it was my turn to blog, and I had nothing ready, nothing simmering in my brain ready to be put onto the screen, nothing, nada, zip.

Then I thought of last night. Some neighbors came over for a time of fellowship and prayer. One of the couples has a son who left for Afghanistan on Saturday, and we want to keep him covered in prayer. We had a wonderful time of prayer and fellowship together.

Now here’s the thing that amazes me. How does my life get so out of control, that I neglect to see what’s going on in the lives of people I truly care about? How do months go by, one after the other, without me noticing that they’re hurting or just need a phone call, note, whatever?

With God’s help, I hope to remedy that this year. I love my cyber friends, but I also want to be there for the people in my “real” world, whom I touch shoulders with day after day.

So that’s my goal. To go for coffee with a friend, pick up the phone, write an email—er, uh, send a card, whatever it takes to reconnect with the people who matter in my life—and to take note of the neighbors I don’t know so well. Those who brush my world with a wave of their hand, a “How are you,” whatever—to care about them deeply enough to pray for them and be ready to help in times of need.

I know this is a little heavy this morning and totally out of character for me, but it’s where I am today. I write lady lit because I truly care about the girls in that age group. My goal is to encourage, bring a smile to their lips, make them want to dig a little deeper in their walk with the Lord.

So while I’ll be on the computer today, because that’s what I do--and I love all you cyber friends—I also plan to make a phone call or two, and all the while count my blessings for the abundance of friends God has placed in my life—cyber and otherwise.

Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:04 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Diann, I can relate to this. I have a stack of little notes cards to send people that I never find the time to send. I always say, if only I had their e-mail address. How pathetic is that.

It's nice to get an email, but a card or a visit says you took extra time to show you care.

It's okay to be deep sometimes. That's life! ;)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've noticed this problem in my own life. I think it's easy for us to fall into that trap because we long to fellowship with other Christian writers. But, let's face it, we're few and far between. Without cyberspace we'd think we were all alone. But the "real" people in our lives are the ones we'll have the most impact on.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

As I'm a hermit, getting out with friends doesn't really appeal to me. Wait. Let me rephrase that...my long-time friends don't live here. Now, when I'm in town, we TOTALLY just hang out together. And eat. Food must always be involved with me! :)

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

It is hard to balance the cyber ministry with the tangible where-we- live ministry. There's just nothing like that face-to-face contact! It's like that even with my writer friends. When I go to conference and get to see everyone again, it's so much fun and so refreshing!!! The emails are great, but I'd rather talk over coffee and chocolate. :-)

Diann

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

I try to make time to hang out with local friends. Dineen and I are going to watch Serenity on Wednesday! But usually I'd prefer to stay home and do writerly things.

I'm a little big agoraphobic, I think. I get a little panicky at the thought of going out, especially into crowds, and I need to psych myself up for it a little.

Camy

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Pammer said...

Well, I don't have many local friends. It seems all my nearest and dearest are online. BUT that doesn't mean that I can't take time for the ones that remain my friends, even with my crazy schedule. I plan on calling one friend right now.

Thanks for the idea. She may think I'm dead, it's been so long.

Hugs!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger susie said...

Diann,
I hear you. You hit my guilty spot. Many times I look out my window by my computer and see my neighbors houses, neighbors I don't really know. My neighbor to my left and the two directly across from me, and I, share mailboxes on one stand. The only time I really talk to them is when we all get our mail together. Is that not sad? Even then, I'm usually on the run and have to beg off before any true relationship conversation gets accomplished. I'm embarressed to say, I've lived here 7 years. This shouldn't be. I've become a recluse...hiding behind a glass window and my non personal, turn on, turn off when I want to, listens to anything I say, computer.

I, too, love what this machine affords me, with opportunities to reach out and connect with new and old friends. But what it doesn't afford me is to 'reach out and touch somebody's hand, make the world a better place, if I can.' (Isn't that from a song?)

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. and thanks, too, for new friends.

Sue Maley

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger eileen said...

Great point! Just remember our cyberspace friends can't bring us chicken soup when we have the flu, or pick up that prescription! Live bodies are an important part of life methinks. Hmmmmm, maybe I should turn off the computer.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

You always encourage me! But yeah, it's easy to get locked away and forget.

Hugs, Rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz