Girls Write Out
Monday, January 16, 2006

A HAIRY SITUATION

While we’re on the subject of hair, I’ll confess that I just had mine colored. Don’t tell anyone, okay? (By the way, Colleen, I’m a little bitter that you don’t have to do this.) This is the first time I’ve ever had it colored professionally, so imagine my disappointment when $75 later it looks just like it does when I color it myself for $8.

But here’s the thing I really don’t understand. Isn’t it enough that I have the humiliation of having to color the gray roots in the first place? I mean, do they have to put me near a wide window overlooking the busiest street in the city? Anyone who has ever had their hair highlighted knows this is just wrong. Spiked hair on foil sticks is enough to traumatize little children for years to come.

What is up with that? Guys go in, get a haircut. Period. Okay, maybe their eyebrows get snipped and they might even have a stray ear hair whacked off here and there, but I mean, it’s over in the blink of an eye. In the meantime, I sit framed in this picture window feeling like a side show in a circus, while my hair stylist whips out her little brush—which looks more like a utensil for basting a Thanksgiving turkey—and goes after my hair with all the drama of Picasso.

The good news is she brings me a stack of hairstyle magazines to get my mind off of the nightmares I’m causing little children, and soon I begin dreaming of what I’m going to look like when my “time is up.”

The bad news is I pick out a hair color and style that’s just like Teri Hatcher’s, but walk away looking more like Jamie Lee Curtis in Freaky Friday. Is it the hair stylist? The color? The cut? What?

It’s one of life’s mysteries that I just don’t care to ponder.

And you wonder why I wear a red hat . . . .

Diann Hunt  
posted at 10:06 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

You look great in a red hat! (wink) And, you dark hair style. Here's to those of us who color the gray - for $8 or $75.

Rachel

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

ROFL!!! I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh at such a traumatic event for you, but the whole thing with the ear hair just made me lose it.

Camy

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is why I do mine at home, Di....the other reason, I still have the little ones. Can you image a 3 yr old running rampant in a salon while I'm waiting for my roots to be processed? Shudders!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I feel for you, Diann. I have hair that no one can style. It's curly and strange. So imagine how I feel walking out of one of those salons for the world to see. Here I am, looking like a wet dog. I hate that! You look fab no matter what. But hey, thanks for letting us laugh with you.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

So true, Kristin. The pampering is definitely worth something.

I just had no idea it would take this much effort and money for maintenance and upkeep when I reached this age. LOL!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Laughing, I hear ya Di!! YOu look great in the red hat and the cute new do. Did I mention I colored my hair again, right after the nice hair dresser straighted it all back up... crooked bangs just aren't a good look for me....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz