Girls Write Out
Wednesday, January 18, 2006

BLACK THUMB

Take a good look at my plants. You would have had to see the "before" picture to fully appreciate these "after" photos. By "before" I mean before I got hold of them. Take a close look at the plant on the right. Yes, indeedy, that is a paint brush propping up the stalk.

Now, I really admire people who have virtual rain forests in their homes. Outside, their big colorful gardens with feathery fronds and leaves are truffles for the eyes.

I love plants, I really do. But the fact remains that . . . they don't like me.

Every year my kids bring a plant home from school. They are supposed to grow and nurture the plant and bring it back the following year for the plant show. But, alas, they are boys and could care less about tender seedlings, so their care falls to me.

I try to follow the directions on the little plastic stakes. Partial sunlight, no problem. Frequent waterings, hey, I am so there. But regardless of my enthusiastic efforts, they reject my care. They see me coming and wilt. Stalks droop, leaves fall, flowers wither and die and never return as if to say, "Hey, I'm outa here." A girl could get a complex. At this year's plant show, a judge informed me that one of my plants' leaves had actually changed colors. (and not to brown). I exulted at my accomplishment until the judge marked the plant down for color. Apparently the leaves were supposed to stay red.

I envy my green thumb friends, but I have learned this is not my destiny. Still the boys will bring home a plant every year, and I will make a pathetic effort to keep them alive. Then I will send them back to school and set their puny stems down on the shelves with the bigger, healthier, friendlier foilage.

It's okay. I'm fine with that. Really. Because I now have a new set of green friends. Unlike the uncooperative live ones, they require no water or sunlight and they stand up perky, tall, and straight for me twenty-four, seven. Sure, they're made of plastic or some synthetic material, but I'm okay with that. I'm not sure my live plants are, though. It might just be me but it seems like they're looking worse than ever.
Anonymous  
posted at 9:27 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Uh, Denise, would you believe I was sitting there thinking how nice your palm trees were? (they are called palm trees, right)
Aren't they real? LOL. I came home looked around my house and wondered if I should get a plant?

So you're a step up from me...the closest thing I have to a plant in the house is the Chia Pet my son got for Christmas. I sooo hate those things.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i got an email from that blogging subscription a few days ago with this entry... yet... it only posted just today. that's soooo weird!


i have a black thumb too though :)

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

denise! i was so confused, coz i couldn't see it on the site! but it's all good now.
and i wasn't sure who wrote it... i thought it was you, but wasn't entirely sure if it was you or kristin! but now i know! :)

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, I'll be honest.....I kill artificial plants! No kidding! So I can SO relate!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Pammer said...

Yep, me too! My hubby rushes to throw his arms around his plants when I stop to admire, because if they are inside, I can kill them. The ones I do have, inside plants, that is, that are still alive, would live regardless of human attention. Now, outside plants? I can do that. I don't know what the difference is. I have found that Black Thumb is genetic too, my oldest sister (who incidentally has the same nose as I do) kills plants by looking at them too. :0) The stranger of the bunch (I think she might have been switched at the hospital) is my other sister. She can grow anything. She also doesn't have three thousand books (another fetish my older sister and I share, lol).

LOve this blog, ladies!

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kristin, how am i meant to know what your gardening skills are?
plus denise mentioned her boys, so yeah it COULD theoretically have been you... but i did think it was denise.

lol!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Oh, I SO have a black thumb! I with you! Rachel

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

LOL! Now I don't feel so bad for killing every plant my husband ever gave me, which is usually to express his LOVE for me. Isn't that horrendous of me?
Camy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz