Girls Write Out
Monday, December 26, 2005

It’s hard to imagine another Christmas gone by! Did you get that fruit cake you wanted? How about the sweater that was two sizes too big from Aunt Gerdie? Spastic singing Christmas tree that shakes and rings its decorative jingle bells every time someone laughs too loud? Look at it this way you have more options for white elephant gifts next year . . . .

But as we all know, it’s not about the presents. Who cares about those checkered socks Uncle George gave you? The fact is after his heart attack this year, you weren’t sure you’d get to see him again. And then there’s Grandma Matilda. She drives you crazy with her loud talk and clacking dentures, but today you remember how she used to bake cookies with you when you were a kid.

What about your daughter? She’s caused you more grief this year than ever before with her rebellious ways, but today you see remnants of the little girl you once knew, the one who actually wanted to be with family.

Your son has pushed his deafening music aside and you watch as he laughs and cuts up with his cousins. He’s looking more like your husband every day. He’ll be a man soon . . .

Our Christmas isn’t over. In fact, we haven’t had it yet with our kids/grandkids. We’re headed out of town for a couple of days. We’re treating the kids to an overnight stay at an inn in the heart of Amish country. The inn boasts a swimming pool and all the amenities of a hotel, but the décor is much more warm and inviting. Charming quilts, lanterns, rocking chairs, big, knobby beds with thick comforters and bedding, soft lamp light, rocking chairs--everything is so cozy. We can hardly wait to get there!

We’ll eat and laugh until we’re ready to puke, probably fuss over board games, and share gifts. I’ll look around the circle of our little family and thank God once again for the blessing of time together to reflect on what’s important.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and you’ve made memories that will get you through until the season comes round again.

And just for the record, if I get a fruitcake, I ain’t eating it.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:16 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a wonderful time away, i'm sure you deserve it!

have fun with your family, my parents and all of dad's family were overseas or interstate this year, so christmas was pretty boring for my brother and i (we don't get along too well with mum's family - they ar so materialistic and shallow we couldn't wait to leave!)

isn't it sad when christmas is all about the gifts and how much money is spent on you at christmas, rather than spending time with your family and remembering Jesus? that's how it was for my brother and i. cousins gloating over how many gifts their parents gave them. and of course, our parents are away, and we like, got nothing... not that the gifts are important, but it kinda makes you uncomfortable and sad.

i called my dad's sister and told her she better not go away next christmas or i'll die. she said i can go with their family on a cruise if i start saving.
so that's it, i'm going!!!!!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh my goodness, Bethanie, a cruise!!! WOW!! I'd start saving up too! I've never been on one, but maybe some day . . . .

I'm sorry you weren't able to spend Christmas with your parents this year. I'm sure that's hard--for you and them!

I'm so sappy about all that family togetherness stuff. I think I watched too many Little House on the Prairie episodes. :-)

Diann

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger eileen said...

Enjoy your special family time. It disappears before you know it as the kids get older. I played on the floor with, as my 3 yr old grandson said,"all the Thomas the train stuff in the world." Such fun!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Emily said...

We sure made some unforgettable memories this year! This was the first of 3 years we will be doing family Christmas over the webcam. And hopefully the last time my brother and his wife insist on a middle of the day webcam conversation - because that means husband and I have to wake up in the middle of the night! A 2:30am appearance by me isn't the prettiest way to say "Merry Christmas!"

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Merry Christmas!!! I made mochi today with some kids from my youth group. Yummy!
Camy

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

I got more fruit cake this year than what I expected!! OH, wait you weren't talking about my relatives!!
One thing about all of us gathering together is there is plenty of laughter! One can always count on someone saying or doing something that can get retold through out the year. This year it was my mom saying to the men in general "now, everyone should say something really nice about their spouses" My husband played along joking saying "Can I have a minute to think"... Of course getting a lighthearted smack from me and mom. When my step dad chipped in "Son, it don't work.... why just yesterday I tried to say something nice and got in trouble" Of course we all wanted to know what.. when mom squinted her eyes at him and puckered her lips.. Grinning he ignored her and shrugged " I said, you sure don't sweat much for a fat girl.... Now that was nice wasn't it?" We all laughed as mom elbowed him. Good thing she knows he is crazy about her still all these years later! But I have to admit I am looking forward to her getting him back for that one!! hehe

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Ditto on the fruitcake thing. :)

I love family get togethers, too, especially during the holidays. I'm very Pollyanna. :)

Hope you and the family have a great time in Amish country! Eat and laugh until you can't eat and laugh any more! What a great feeling.

Love, Rachel

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I know what you mean, Eileen, aren't grandkids awesome?!!!


And Christmas over the webcam?! Wow, what a wonderful world in which we live--to have such capabilities!

Cami, what fun with the youth group! Mochas are my favorite!

Corina, your family sounds like such fun! And Rachel, we did laugh and had such fun! Now that they're gone, I'm pooped! :-)

Still basking in the lingering memories of Christmas--and thankful I did NOT get fruitcake! :-)

Diann

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Diann, it's funny you should mention the daughter and son. I did that this year and realized my babies were all grown up. Where did all the past years go? Thanks for mentioning the grandbabies Eileen, it's nice to know I have more memories coming down memory lane some day. Rhonda

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So true, Di.....I saw my teen smile, honestly and truly, for the first time in a long time, and me, ms. unemotional, got tears pooled in my eyes. The time flies by when you become parents and I'm choosing to rejoice in my children at their scattered ages now.

Blessings to you, sweet lady!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz