Girls Write Out
Tuesday, December 20, 2005

GIFTS
I've got a last minute shopper for a husband. Any of you have the same predicament? I generally have NO opportuntity to snoop among the packages, to shake and rattle anything under the tree until Christmas Eve. What's up with guys who wait like that? Is it genetic or learned behavior?

I'm a big kid when it comes to presents. Dave probably knows this. He probably senses I'd unwrap it while he was gone to work and carefully wrap it back up so he doesn't know it, then act shocked and surprised on Christmas. But I'd like the CHANCE to battle to do what's write and just look at it. He actually surprised me this Christmas and bought something already. It's under the tree now, but it's very light and I have no idea what it is. So far I've resisted the temptation to unwrap it, but it's been a struggle. I'll admit if there were more presents under there for me, I'd have to peek at at least ONE.

I got addicted to peeking when I was a kid. My parents used to hide our gifts in their bedroom closet and my brother Randy and I would check it out whenever we got the opportunity. My most vivid Christmas memory is of the one when I was about 13. I wanted white go-go boots. Don't laugh. Really, that was what I wanted in the WORST way. I checked out the closet. No boots. But I held out hope that my mother wouldn't disappoint me. She always tried to get what we wanted most. Christmas Eve came and the four of us tore into the packages. When the paper quit flying, there were no go-go boots. I started to cry (disgusting isn't it. At 13!) They should have kept them back since I was such a spoiled brat about it, but they brought out the boots. They'd saved them until last and hidden them where I couldn't find them.

God is just like that sometimes, isn't he? He gives us gifts we don't deserve just because we ask. My writing career is like that. It's all from his hand and because of his goodness. The best gifts are often the ones we deserve least. I think today I'll celebrate again his goodness to me. I'll put on some Christmas music, light a pumpkin candle and rejoice in the new series I'm starting. Then maybe I'll check out that package under the tree and see just how strong I am!
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:41 AM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Colleen, I can just see you under the tree. I can also see Dave being a last minute shopper. He doesn't strike me as a big mall person. LOL

My husband says I'm worse than our son. I love presents. Hate waiting. I can't tell you how many times I've conned him into opening presents early. That was before Tanner. Now we have to be the mature responsible parents. Sigh.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't you dare open that present! I'll call Dave and tell him! LOLOLOL

Should I torment you and tell you to watch your mail as I sent you something? I mailed it last Friday, but considering our mail system here in podunk, who knows when you'll get it! LOLOLOLOL

And God blessing you with your writing career has been a blessing to many, countless others. I know.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Colleen, i wanted go go boots too, really bad! I can so relate.

But God is very much like that... delighting in giving us what we don't deserve. Aren't we most blessed that He's so generous.

So, like you, I take a moment to reflect on His goodness and publicly thank Him for what He's done in my writing life, and for giving me friends like you.

Rachel

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I'm pretty picky. I just make good detailed Christmas Wish Lists. I know, I know-- so not what Christmas is about. I just can't help myself. I give the store, location in the store, price, things in the vicinity. Anything to make sure he gets it right. Sigh. It's sad really.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Do you know, I never discovered where my parents hid our Christmas presents! Now that's just pathetic.

This year, I get an ergonomic chair!

Camy

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i ALWAYS knew where my mother hid the presents, from the time i was about 13 or so. so each christmas i was never surprised.

now however, dad just asks me what i want, and generally that's what i get :)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

The joy of surprise? I get to be surprised when I discover what it is--no matter if I sneak and open it or not. LOL I know the big thing I'm getting this year. I researched digital cameras and told him I want a Canon 511 or 612. So I know he'll look for that. LOL I got him a DV movie camera, tiny little thing. It came yesterday and I was playing with it! LOL

Rachel, you aren't old enough to remember go-go boots. LOL

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know what i'm getting this year, and it's NOT what i want. there is only one thing i want, and that is kristin's new book. but the christian bookstore near us doesn't have any copies and my brother won't go to the other one to get it! :( humph!!!! but i WANT IT!!! (i'm getting a lori wick one instead, blahh).

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Um Colleen....I HAD a pair of go go boots.....they may have been out of style, but I wanted them and got them! LOL I think I MAY even have a pix around here somewhere of me sporting them when I was like 8! LOL

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

Haha! I peeked, rewrapped and everything when I was a kid. There was one year I wanted a barbie townhome soo badly. Know how I figured out we were getting them? I listened to phone conversations on the extension and overhead the one my parents had to say that dad had to take us out so mom could bring them in the house without us seeing them. Sure enough there they were Christmas morning.

Now there are no surprises. My parents (mom) just buy us whatever we want, usually when shopping so they don't have to deal with returns. Sizes are so hard to figure out nowadays. :(

And I already know what writing book I'm getting from my sister because I asked for it! LOL

Sabrina, did you wait to open your gift or did you succumb like Jenny?

BTW finally updated my blog if anyone is interested.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Neat post, Colleen.

I resist opening James's gifts too. He gives the best!! but he always knows if I've already seen them. I give myself away.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

I do remember go go boots!! LOL. You know, Goldie Hawn, Laugh-in and all that. :) I'm not sure I "called" them go go boots, but they were go go boots. ;) Rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz